PDA

View Full Version : Something a heard on egg whites

DasTylZ
02-23-2004, 07:18 AM
i Was at the gym the other day and started drinking my egg whites,and the trainner comes to me and says ...your talking all that for nothing because its not cooked and u just absorb 1/4 of the protein...
Is This bul**** or what
thx guys

AllUp
02-23-2004, 07:24 AM
Check out the link :)
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=55&pageid=3

"According to a study found by John Berardi, the body can only utilize about half of the protein found in raw egg products"

"As far as cooking goes, as is true for most foods, some minor nutrient losses do occur in the egg. Of the nutrients in an egg, riboflavin, thiamin and folic acid are generally less heat stable than other nutrients. Normal cooking simply changes the form of egg protein but it is still just as nutritious. Protein is destroyed only when it is severely overcooked such as in the brown lacy edges of an overcooked fried egg. You can preserve the highest nutrient content possible by avoiding overcooking."

So you can cook them, just not too much. :)

ryuage
02-23-2004, 08:51 AM
i doubt you will only absorb only 1/4 of it but why do you drink raw egg whites in the first place?!

Holto
02-23-2004, 09:19 AM
something like heat activates adivin which unlocks about 1/2 the protein

geoffgarcia
02-23-2004, 09:42 AM
or just go with egg white powder:
Egg White Protein is extracted from pure egg whites then processed into powder form. It yields a higher protein ratio than liquid egg whites. Egg Whites provide an excellent source of amino acids and are high in the sulfur producing amino acid which is crucial in anabolic hormone production. Has a PER of 3.9 and a biological value of 88

Egg Protein still remains a favorite choice of protein for many bodybuilders. Egg protein possess a high biological and PER value, making it a good choice for muscle mass gains. The amino acid level is not as high as the whey's, but egg beats out soy and caseinate for usability. Use egg protein with a combination of whey concentrate for a good economical protein source.

Egg white protein is new and now is instantized. It mixes with a spoon very easily

you can get it for 7$ a lb.
15 servings per pound
each serving =
120calories
fat 0
sodium 370mg
cholesterol 0
carbs 2g
protein 24g

DasTylZ
02-23-2004, 10:59 AM
Thx for the info