PDA

View Full Version : whey in keto?

furious
02-24-2004, 03:39 AM
Hey,

I have recently included whey in to my ketogenic diet, and i noticed it seems to be bloating my definition. Is it possible whey can kick one out of ketosis? If so, what would be an acceptable alternative to preform the same function as whey protein post workout? please let me know. thanks alot.

harryhoudini66
02-24-2004, 09:05 AM
How much carbs does your Whey have? Mine has 1.5 and it works fine. No bloating here unlesss I am carbo-loading.

geoffgarcia
02-24-2004, 10:28 AM
casein/caseinate, egg proteins, bovine serum/colostrum, milk protein, rice protein, soy protein

the doc
02-24-2004, 10:30 AM
stey away from the whey :D

seriously though, it is far to rapidly absorbed and will kick you out of ketosis.

Lonewolf
02-24-2004, 02:57 PM
you say it will kick out of keto but how, to me as long as your not using a weight gainer most whey proteins have very little carbs in them.

Isaac Wilkins
02-24-2004, 03:17 PM
Rapidly absorbed protein like whey can cause some insulin response. I never had a problem with it, but I know some people who get kicked out of ketosis from it.

gopher
02-24-2004, 06:01 PM
I believe it's called glucogenisis when quickly digested proteins like whey are converted and used like carbs by the body. This will cause an insuline response and kick you out of keto.

gopher
02-24-2004, 06:09 PM
Okay the process is called gluconeogenesis.
GLUCONEOGENESIS: Dictionary Entry and Meaning
Medical Dictionary

Definition: The process of making glucose (sugar) from its own breakdown products or from the breakdown products of lipids (fats) or proteins. Gluconeogenesis occurs mainly in cells of the liver or kidney.