PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions

rovelive
02-24-2004, 05:22 AM
Hey hows it going.
I am curious as to how do i work out how many calories i need to gain mass weight.
I am 5ft11, 154 Pounds 20 y.o

Also what do u think is a good ratio for beginning bodybuilding:
40% prot
40% carb
10% fat

I am finding it hard to start eating the healthy type foods like cereal etc as for the last 20 years i have never eat vegetables or anything real healthy or drank straight water.

I am fit but wanto get fit, and ripped and yeh ..
Thats the hard part.
Please write back bye.

Anthony
02-24-2004, 05:31 AM
There are formulas to help figure out how many calories you need (do a search and read the articles on this site), but the best way is to record everything you eat for a week and see if you gain weight. If not, you have your number.

A good starting ratio would be 40/40/20 ... see how it goes and change it as you see fit. Right now I'm using 35/35/30.

As for the food ... your taste buds will adjust. Besides, how can anyone think a nice, thick, bbq steak and seasoned roasted potatoes tastes bad?? :D

pruneman
02-24-2004, 07:54 AM
40+40+10=90 :D

I have the same stats as you. i would shoot for at least 25% fat, 1-1.5g protein/lb of body weight, and fill the rest in with carbs. At your age and size, the best thing you could do is just eat.

rovelive
02-25-2004, 04:06 AM
Hey.
Yeh i meant 20% for fat.
I have worked it out to be 243g of protein a day compared to the standard 10g or so i eat now so it shall be good to see the results after a month or so.

Now i got a few more questions

1 - What is a good limit to take of the following - Sodium, Calcium, Iron, Protein.
2 - Can you take too much of these is it a bad thing if so for what ones.
3 - What is good to eat or drink before bed time and before you wake up.
4 - When taking protein shake is it best to take with no fat milk with added iron for a good workout and protein buildup for that session ? And do u take it when your working out or an hour before or an hour after ?

I have got a good book on australian foods 2004 so i can chose what i want and go from there.

pruneman
02-25-2004, 09:55 AM
sodium: you already get enough of this in the food you eat

calcium: best to get from lf/ff cheese or milk, not sure on the RDA

Iron: males do not need to add iron to the diet. In fact males should be more concerned with removing excess iron.

Protein: no less than 1g/lb of body weight

I usually mix my protein with water unless i am using it as an MRP. For a PWO shake, i would recommend a dextrose/protein shake mixed in water. I take my shake directly after i work out.

Hope that helps