PDA

View Full Version : How to train........?

always_losing
02-24-2004, 08:33 AM
Preview
Just sort of a genreal question: what would be the best way to train if you wanna get stronger as oppsosed to get bigger?

The obviously related question, what sort of nutrition should accompany it?

Anthony
02-24-2004, 10:15 AM
Do a search on Westside.

Paul Stagg
02-24-2004, 11:07 AM
Be a little more specific about your goals.

Stronger for what? Powerlifting? football? golf? square dancing?

From a nutrition aspect, you need sufficient protein, EFAs, micronutrients, etc. Just not an excess of calories.

Smoke1
02-24-2004, 01:16 PM
Its really hard to get stronger and not bigger. My advice would be to run on the treadmill with resistance. Thats of course if you want to work your lower body where power comes from.

Saint Patrick
02-24-2004, 01:27 PM
Its really hard to get stronger and not bigger.

Chris Rodgers is 154lbs and Squats & Deadlifts 500+

My advice would be to run on the treadmill with resistance. Thats of course if you want to work your lower body where power comes from.

WTF Running on a treadmill makes you stronger? Even if that's true, it doesn't hold a candle to squats.

Smoke1
02-24-2004, 01:29 PM
running on the treadmill with resistance is a better way to get stronger without getting bigger than doing squats. Thats all I said.

Saint Patrick
02-24-2004, 01:32 PM
running on the treadmill with resistance is a better way to get stronger without getting bigger than doing squats. Thats all I said.

Care to explain that?

Smoke1
02-24-2004, 04:35 PM
When you do squats, you use a lot of weight. When you do them to the point of failure, the muscle fibers in your quads, gluts, hamstrings, and calves tear and lactic acid floods the area. When the acid is all gone, the muscle anticipates further work and the fibers are re-built stronger. Stronger Ie Bigger.

When you run on the treadmill with resistance, it puts your body in a full range of motion.....where you work difficult to target muscles.....making you stronger; however not actually tearing the fibers in the major muscle groups like the quads. In other words.......treadmills render hip adduction and abduction machines obselete.

KingJustin
02-25-2004, 11:51 AM
When you do squats, you use a lot of weight. When you do them to the point of failure, the muscle fibers in your quads, gluts, hamstrings, and calves tear and lactic acid floods the area. When the acid is all gone, the muscle anticipates further work and the fibers are re-built stronger. Stronger Ie Bigger.

When you run on the treadmill with resistance, it puts your body in a full range of motion.....where you work difficult to target muscles.....making you stronger; however not actually tearing the fibers in the major muscle groups like the quads. In other words.......treadmills render hip adduction and abduction machines obselete.

And what if you never went to failure on the squats, which allow heavier weight?

Saint Patrick
02-25-2004, 12:12 PM
Stronger Ie Bigger.

Getting bigger is a function of diet.

Anthony
02-25-2004, 12:20 PM
I posted this in another thread, but it applies here as well:

You can increase your strength and not your size by learning to use your existing muscle more efficiently. To quote Dave Tate, "This is due to the neuromuscular coordination and motor learning. The advanced athlete can call upon more motor unit activation (use more muscle) than the novice. For example, the novice may use 40% of his total muscle while the advanced lifter will be able to use 80%."

always_losing
03-05-2004, 01:09 AM
Thanks

Bronek
03-05-2004, 03:35 AM
to get stronger Vs get bigger

Exercise Explosivenes, speed. Eliminate or limit eccentric part of movement from your workouts. Fucus on concentric work.
Not too much so called "reps" repetition method is out, ok? All variations of repetition method contribute to increase of your bulk.

In short, limit "TUT" (time under tension) and you are on your way! :clap: