PDA

View Full Version : Flat Bench vs Box for Box squats?

Max-Mex
02-24-2004, 03:40 PM
I'm going to start doing box squats and I was wondering if using a bench is ok (as long as my legs are parallel or lower when sitting)?

Anthony
02-24-2004, 04:18 PM
I can't see why not. I use the aerobic steps - makes it easy to adjust heights.

Adam
02-24-2004, 04:34 PM
As long as they are the right hieght for you they are great to use, there a big conveneince. If your short like me and a bench is too high then you should use a box.

Seanzilla
02-24-2004, 05:05 PM
A flat bench would be too high for anyone who isn't really tall (like 6'3 or taller). With box squats, you need to sit down and back and a flat bench is too high off of the ground (I'm six feet tall and it's too high for me).

Max-Mex
02-24-2004, 05:16 PM
Just thought about that and I think the aerobic steps might work better. Thanks for the help guys.

:thumbup:

rpffly
02-24-2004, 05:40 PM
Max - I'm 6'1 and I started on a bench. The bench is 18" and came to about 1.5" or so below my knee. When I sit back it is parallel, given my stance. I worked my way down to a 14" box and it is right where I want it. I go back to the bench from time to time for variety.......FYI

Anthony
02-24-2004, 05:46 PM
Are you sure you're parallel on an 18" box??

rpffly
02-24-2004, 05:59 PM
It actually may be a bit above on an 18" but my hip joint is about in line with my knee joint, isn't that the defenition of parallel? Nevertheless it is not the box I typically use.

Isaac Wilkins
02-24-2004, 07:52 PM
No, parallel (in powerlifting terms) is the crease of your hip (at the top) is even with the top of your knee.

I use a bench once in a while, depending upon the gym, but I use a low mobile bench, they tend to be just about parallel or slightly above for me (6'1").

Other wise I use the step things like Anthony said to go below parallel.

Max-Mex
02-24-2004, 08:39 PM
Well tomorrow will be the test. Hopefully the steps will work out cause I'd hate to have to carry around a box. There used to be a milk crate around. That might work if I could find something to put on top of it.

rpffly
02-24-2004, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the clarification Borris.

Seanzilla
02-25-2004, 12:37 AM
If you put 400 or so pounds on the squat bar, and then sit down on some aerobic steps, you're gonna break right thru them!

Isaac Wilkins
02-25-2004, 04:48 AM
If you put 400 or so pounds on the squat bar, and then sit down on some aerobic steps, you're gonna break right thru them!

I've spotted one of my friends doing a box squat with 700 + choked green bands on aerobic steps.

Anthony
02-25-2004, 05:16 AM
The very center of an aerobic step (at least the ones I use) are rated for 500lbs, meaning they can probably handle 50-75% more (750-875) since they always rate them conservatively to avoid lawsuits.

Isaac Wilkins
02-25-2004, 05:48 AM
Don't sit in the center if you're worried about it, sit over one of the supported ends. They're big enough so that they (shouldn't) won't flip up on you or anything.

Anthony
02-25-2004, 05:51 AM
Yeah, that's what I do anyway. :D

justhrowit
02-25-2004, 07:38 AM
I'm going to start doing box squats and I was wondering if using a bench is ok (as long as my legs are parallel or lower when sitting)?

Lot of advice here. There is no magical hieght for the box. As a matter of fact...different height should be used at different times. Check out Louis Simmons' website, here's a link to his articles. Look for his article on box squats....hell look at his squatting articles period. Great stuff from a guy who knows how to get strong!

P.S....don't let ANYONE EVER tell you Box Squats are BAD FOR YOU!!! Tell them their idiots if they do!

http://www.westside-barbell.com/articles.htm

Max-Mex
02-25-2004, 09:13 AM
Yup, read all the Westside stuff and found it very useful (concerning box squats). I think it's more important for me to use a box that lets me go below parallel. I did squats today and wasn't able to use the steps nor find something suitable. I guess I could have stacked plates but was short on time. Maybe something to try next time.

justhrowit
02-25-2004, 11:09 AM
Yup, read all the Westside stuff and found it very useful (concerning box squats). I think it's more important for me to use a box that lets me go below parallel. I did squats today and wasn't able to use the steps nor find something suitable. I guess I could have stacked plates but was short on time. Maybe something to try next time.

Build your own boxes...hopefully your gym will let you use them!

Problem solved