PDA

View Full Version : protein amounts

MSkater
02-25-2004, 02:48 PM
If i eat less protein then i need after working out, can my muscles actually break down and repair weaker/smaller than before?

Thanks

Alex.V
02-25-2004, 02:57 PM
Not likely. Recovery and growth takes a few days... you may endure some short term muscle loss/catabolism, but if you eat well beyond there, your body will rebound and you'll still end up growing.

If you want more detail on nutrition.... head down to that forum. ;)

Gettin' Big
02-25-2004, 08:04 PM
your body does immediatly start repairing after workouts, but it's not anywhere near instantaneous. Your body needs a protein that is easily broken down (i.e. whey) and sugars for quick energy to start building. Your muscles won't necessarily get smaller or weaker, but when your body needs energy after a workout...it will take it from where ever it can. Usually your glycogen storages are depleted after a workout so if it doesn't have something to start breaking down for energy, it will resort to muscle tissue.

LuvDaPump
02-25-2004, 08:19 PM
:withstupi

You really need to provide some energy and building blocks for repair. Try a few weeks of good supplementation fallowing your workout then try a few weeks with nothing after your workout.

You will quickly find that your recovery times will lengthen and you'll be more sore without proper nutrients right after your workout.

You will also have less energy the rest of the day as a result of canabalization (sp?) really ought to know how to spell that :)

Ozzy Osbourne
02-25-2004, 10:23 PM
:withstupi

You really need to provide some energy and building blocks for repair. Try a few weeks of good supplementation fallowing your workout then try a few weeks with nothing after your workout.

You will quickly find that your recovery times will lengthen and you'll be more sore without proper nutrients right after your workout.

You will also have less energy the rest of the day as a result of canabalization (sp?) really ought to know how to spell that :)

cannibalization

NaturalBuilder
02-26-2004, 10:00 AM
your body does immediatly start repairing after workouts, but it's not anywhere near instantaneous

That statement contradicts itself.

ecliptic
02-27-2004, 10:53 AM
i see his point :)

TheGimp
02-27-2004, 02:50 PM
That statement contradicts itself.

It starts immediately. It is not completed instantaneously. Does that clear things up?