PDA

View Full Version : Cuttin, Bulking, Maintaining formula????

Mic Soloist
02-25-2004, 02:57 PM
I was told that....

12 x Body Weight = Cut

15 x Body Weight = Maintain

18 x Body Weight = Bulk

I am 172 pounds and I am cutting.... so it should be 2064. When I was bulking I was eating around 1200-1400 calories and I went from 152 to my current weight in no time. I have a ultra slow metabolism and I was 220 pounds 6 years ago. I am currently 21 years old.... I was a fatass in middle and high school..... anyway, 2064 seems like a lot of calories to lose weight. I have been eating around 1800-1900 calories and I'm still not losing weight.

I play bball for cardio about 2-3 times per week and I lift 4 times per week. I have one cheat day on the weekend where I drink 5-8 beers, but I always cut back on calories that day so I never go much of 2000.

I have cut back to 1700 for the last few days and I feel like I might be losing a little now, but that seems low for my size.... I really don't know what to do. I am desperate to get down to 8% BF or less before summer.

Even when I was 152 I was still 10% BF and wasn't nearly as cut as I'd like to be. I have strong abs but I have never seen them?? What do you think I should do as far as calories?? Also, could the loose skin from going from 220 to 155 a few years ago be preventing me from having tight skin and being cut??

What do you think?

-mic-

ianack4life
02-25-2004, 03:02 PM
I was told that....

12 x Body Weight = Cut

15 x Body Weight = Maintain

18 x Body Weight = Bulk

I am 172 pounds and I am cutting.... so it should be 2064. When I was bulking I was eating around 1200-1400 calories and I went from 152 to my current weight in no time. I have a ultra slow metabolism and I was 220 pounds 6 years ago. I am currently 21 years old.... I was a fatass in middle and high school..... anyway, 2064 seems like a lot of calories to lose weight. I have been eating around 1800-1900 calories and I'm still not losing weight.

I play bball for cardio about 2-3 times per week and I lift 4 times per week. I have one cheat day on the weekend where I drink 5-8 beers, but I always cut back on calories that day so I never go much of 2000.

I have cut back to 1700 for the last few days and I feel like I might be losing a little now, but that seems low for my size.... I really don't know what to do. I am desperate to get down to 8% BF or less before summer.

Even when I was 152 I was still 10% BF and wasn't nearly as cut as I'd like to be. I have strong abs but I have never seen them?? What do you think I should do as far as calories?? Also, could the loose skin from going from 220 to 155 a few years ago be preventing me from having tight skin and being cut??

What do you think?

-mic-

Hmmm, those numbers seem high.

Bodyweight/2.2 x 11 or 12 = maintenance
Bodyweight/2.2 x 9 or 10 = cutting
Bodyweight/2.2 x Activity level of 1-1.5 + 500 calories or so = bulking.

Paul Stagg
02-25-2004, 03:06 PM
Mic's numbers are the right place to start for a lifter.

Everyone is different, though. You may need to go down to 9cal/pound to lose fat, where I might lose it at 13 cal/pound

Based on your previous post you are losing about a pound a week eating between 1800-1900 cals a day... that's perfect.

Don't be desperate, if your BF estimate is right, you don't have that much to lose.

Perhaps you should consider UD2 or keto dieting?

** I'm moving this to the diet forum

Mic Soloist
02-25-2004, 03:09 PM
Mic's numbers are the right place to start for a lifter.

Everyone is different, though. You may need to go down to 9cal/pound to lose fat, where I might lose it at 13 cal/pound

Based on your previous post you are losing about a pound a week eating between 1800-1900 cals a day... that's perfect.

Don't be desparate, if your BF estimate is right, you don't have that much to lose.

Perhaps you should consider UD2 or keto dieting?

** I'm moving this to the diet forum

thanks, what is UD2 and keto dieting?

ianack4life
02-25-2004, 03:10 PM
You think those numbers are accurate?

The reference for my numbers is the official hst site.

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/HSreport/iss04/index.html#art_1

Paul Stagg
02-25-2004, 03:18 PM
I said they are the right place to start, yes. Feel free to start wherever you like.

UD2 is Lyle McDonald's new diet plan.

Buy his book here:

www.bodyrecomposition.com

Keto dieting is basically low carb dieting, however, for a lifter, you need some carbs. There are two ways to go about it - TKD and CKD. Both have been discussed here, do a search on those terms and you should find oodles of information

Saint Patrick
02-25-2004, 03:44 PM
I agree with Paul.

wibble
02-25-2004, 04:11 PM
The numbers will probably be different for everyone. I'm trying to bulk at 26 times bodyweight for example. Yeah...eek. Good thing I'm only 150lbs. I hope cutting is easier.

Alke
02-25-2004, 05:05 PM
I agree with paul as well, it takes a bit of patience to get the numbers right, and the formulaes are only starting points. I used the same formulaes as posted here when I started counting calories. Since then I have since adjusted the numbers for what works for me.

use the ratios as a starting, give it some time, and you will find the numbers that work for you.