PDA

View Full Version : pwo shake replacement

furious
02-25-2004, 07:48 PM
hey,

I have recently found my pwo shake has been knocking me out of ketosis, as the whey is fast absorbing and causes insulin response. It was suggested i use a slower digesting protein as an alternative, so i have replaced my pwo shake with white crabmeat. It is roughly 90 calories and 18 gram of protein, about the same as my whey. Do you feel this is a viable alterntive to help keep me in keotsis, yet satisfy my pwo caloric requirements? Pleae let me know your opinions?

Holto
02-25-2004, 09:21 PM
well I know nothing of keto diets but I would say 90 cals after a workout is nothing

dxiw
02-25-2004, 10:56 PM
use the ketostix to check - i don't think it will knock you out of keto..but jus to be sure

TheGimp
02-26-2004, 01:37 AM
How about some casein as a pre-workout shake and some post workout? The pre will still be digesting at the end of you workout so you'll have a steady supply of protein.

chris mason
02-26-2004, 06:48 AM
AtLarge Nutrition's protein products (see the link above) are blended proteins. They contain casein, egg, and whey. They should do the trick just fine and cost a lot less than crab meat!

Now, as to a whey shake causing a problem with ketosis, I am highly doubtful that actually occurs. If it does spike insulin levels to some degree, you would still have to be consuming sufficient carbs for the body to be able to get out of ketosis. In addition, whey shakes are not absorbed as quickly as most people think due to the fact that they are still very likely digesting previous meals (for in excess of 4 hours depending on what was consumed) when they consume the shake. This would mitigate the absorbtion rate of the whey and thus not cause the insulin reaction I am seeing people talk about on the net these days.

fornero
02-26-2004, 06:21 PM
On a low carb diet, in a glycogen depleted state (ie, PWO), a large portion of the whey protein is going to be deanimated and converted into glucose. The effects of this on ketosis will really only be transient (you'll go back to producing ketones within an hour or two), but if it's really a concern of yours, switch to a slower digesting protein (meat, eggs, anything casein based) or simply add some fats and fiber to your whey shake to slow gastric emptying.