PDA

View Full Version : Too much protein at one time?

defcon
02-26-2004, 08:48 PM
Hey guys.. i got a quick question.. in the morning i usually have a whey shake when i wake up.. lately ive been finding whey+water a little hard to stomach first thing in the morning, i was wonding if it would be a waste of protein if i took in 2 scoops ( maybe 1.5 ) of whey and about 2 cups of milk in the morning, i also have some carbs, mostly from oatmeal or bread, in this meal.

the whey is ON, so its like 23 grams a scoop right? and i believe milk is around 16-18 grams per 500ml.. so this is giving me about 60 grams of protein in about 10 minutes..

Anyway. I'd like some input please.. i knwo people disagree on the subject.. so if you got any sources of infomation, or studies, post them please.

Thank you.

Saint Patrick
02-26-2004, 09:44 PM
I think it's fine.

I mix 1 scoop whey & 1 TBSP casein w/ 1 cup milk. Works out to like 50g.

To answer your question, it's NOT a waste of protein.

TrevorN
02-26-2004, 10:14 PM
i have 3 shakes a day.

each shake has 2 scoups of protein powder (23g each scoup) with 3/4 cup of skim milk.

the last 2 shakes are taken 1 hour before workout and 15 mins after and those also have 1 measure of glutamine powder

defcon
02-27-2004, 04:22 AM
That is what i thought.. but i just wanted to make sure no one on the site would kill me if i told them i was doing it :P

In other news.. i got a midterm back yesterday from Engineering dynamics 2... i got 98% biaaaaaaaaaatch :| :P yesh! then i went to the gym.. and dun legs :)

Jasonl
02-27-2004, 03:03 PM
I think the whole "the body can only absorb 30-40g at a time" is a myth. Your stomach will take whatever you throw at it. Nice job on your midterm.:)

ectx
02-27-2004, 04:41 PM
I've read varying theories on this. Some believe that your body will only absorb about 20-30 grams a sitting. Still others say that this is dependant on your daily activity and basic requirements. Some proteins also take longer to break down or will last longer in your system...ie...before bed it's better to take a mixed or blended protein (casein, egg, whey) instead of just whey. Just some food for thought.

hemants
03-02-2004, 08:35 AM
Your body will absorb everything BUT that's meaningless.

Your body will probably not use more than 30-40g towards muscle building.

MisterEThoughts
03-02-2004, 11:45 PM
i think it's ok about 2 3 times of protein is ok i think i just think it should digest really well so i take one scoop 3 times