PDA

View Full Version : Herbal Tea

TheGimp
02-28-2004, 04:18 PM
Anyone drink herbal tea of some description? I'm looking for something with some (body building related) health benefits, negligible calories... I'd go for green tea but caffeine affects me pretty badly and I can't find decaf anywhere. So anyone got some alternatives?

harryhoudini66
02-28-2004, 04:38 PM
Dont drink it, but I am taking Green Tea Extract Pills.

TheGimp
02-29-2004, 05:07 AM
Well my other requirement would be something I can actually drink and savour rather than a pill to pop :)

Khar
03-01-2004, 09:43 PM
You would have to drink a whole lot of green tea to get the same effect as popping a few hundred mg of the extract. I drink peppermint tea because it tastes good...I have no idea if it really has any nutritional benefits. Yerba Mate(Sp) doesn't taste too great, but if you brew up a really dark pot of it you can have some fun with it. At least it makes me a little 'lightheaded'.

Spartacus
03-01-2004, 09:49 PM
yerba mate has some caffiene in it too though, although i like it.

decaff green tea is all over the place, if not your grocery, find a whole foods store around and you can get it there, or order it on the net.

also, it has pretty low caffiene to begin with, and your body will adjust to it after a week or so.

i'm not aware of any known health benefits from herbal teas.

TheGimp
03-02-2004, 12:38 AM
Well, for instance, peppermint tea is supposed to stimulate appetite and generally settle down the digestive system.

Decaf green tea is almost impossible to find in this country, it's certainly not on supermarket shelves or our biggest health food chain (holland and barrett). I've been reading up on the subject however and apparently there are two things which further counteract the lower caffeine content of green tea. I do not know whether these are bogus or not but: 1) the presence of the amino acid theanine in the tea negates the caffeine. 2) According to Dr Weil if you brew the tea for 45 seconds and pour the liquid away then continue brewing this gets rid of the majority of the caffeine.