PDA

View Full Version : Subbing cardio for rest days?

Jimbo_Tim
02-29-2004, 07:06 PM
I was looking at the different WBB routines and I think I'm going to try one of them. I notice there are 4 off days in the routine. In addition to building muscle, I'm also trying to lower my body fat % some. I was wondering if there are any adverse effects from replacing some of those off days with just a cardio workout, like running. I would most likely want to replace 2 of the 4 off days with running, but always keep the off-day after leg workout so I don't overtrain my legs. Does subjecting my body to a cardio workout during my recovery stage hinder muslce rebuild? Thanks for the advice.

HighExpectation
03-06-2004, 06:24 PM
I have been replacing some of the rest days in WBB#1 with cardio days. It works out for me. I do 2 sessions of HIIT a week and one session of normal cardio after leg day. I don't know much about the negative effects, if any, it has on muscle gain, but it works for me. I am currently cutting and have been making some decent gains on strength and losing about 1-1.5 pounds a week.

BTW, the light cardio day after legs, IMO, helps with me get over my soreness.

thanky0ujesus
03-06-2004, 06:59 PM
if you're bulking, a lot of cardio could make it a little difficult to gain weight. i would suggest HIIT, high intensity interval training.. do a search

Saint Patrick
03-06-2004, 11:25 PM
In addition to building muscle, I'm also trying to lower my body fat % some.

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that you're just starting out.

I'd suggest just concentrate on building muscle now and worry about fat loss later, like after a successful bulk.

Of course, I don't know what you look like either. If you're like 20%+ body fat then that's another story.

Jimbo_Tim
03-07-2004, 01:27 PM
I've been working out pretty diligently for over 2 years (I'm only 19). I've built up a good amount of muscle and my body fat % is pretty low (around 5-6%). More or less I hit a plateau with my muscle gains, so I started doing some more research so I could work out smarter instead of working out harder. So I pretty much have equivalent goals of building more muscle and cutting what fat I have left. I'm not trying to bulk a whole lot. So those are my goals. It sounds like cardio wouldn't be hurting me too much, but does anyone have anything else to say?

HighExpectation
03-07-2004, 07:49 PM
If your BF is at the level, i would not recommend any cardio. Watch your diet and train hard.

Pray
06-06-2004, 10:50 PM
Cardio isn't just about fat loss, it's also about strengthening and conditioning the most important muscle in our bodies -the heart :moon:

waynis
06-18-2004, 06:48 PM
just dont do a ton of cardio because of the risk of breaking down muscle tissue. i reccomend running and doing intervals. like 3 minute jog, 1 minute sprint. do about 5 of them. find out what your max heart rate is and take it to that level accordingly. making your heart rate go up and down is the best way to lose fat. do like 30minutes of cardio 3 days a week. no more then that. even 2 days a week will do a lot. cause as u gain more muscle your going to be burning more calories too.

Lou Dog
07-08-2004, 11:18 AM
You have to consider your priorities... Are you trying to gain weight? Are you trying to be as fit as possible? These may interfere with one another some. I think if you spent 3-4 of your rest days doing 20-30 minutes are target cardio, that would keep your BF or lower it, and keep your heart in good shape... I like to run 4-5 days a week for 30-40 minutes... I just have to eat a whole lot to continue gaining weight... But this gives you a lot more lenience in Cal counting.

NormalDude
07-08-2004, 01:04 PM
making your heart rate go up and down is the best way to lose fat.

So would fast walking for 2 minutes then running for 3 minutes repeat this set 4 times for 20 minutes be good for fat loss? 3 times a week?

Regenvelc
09-23-2004, 11:18 AM
So would fast walking for 2 minutes then running for 3 minutes repeat this set 4 times for 20 minutes be good for fat loss? 3 times a week?

I have been doing this couch to 5k program I found on coolrunnings.com. It works for me, it takes 25 minutes and it is intervaled until you get up to the point where you can rund 3 miles in 30 minutes(I could probably do that now, but I like staying on a program). I am starting the WBB rountine 1 next week and I plan on running 3 days out of the week that I do not lift. I am going to lift Monday/Wed/Fri and Run Sun/Tues/Thrus. With Saturday's as my cheat/rest days. I want to lose weight though so that is why I am running. I am 5'10 1/2 and 195 at around 18% body fat. I want to trim that down to around 11% or so and I would be extremly happy.