PDA

View Full Version : should i cut or bulk???

fishbrains
03-01-2004, 04:44 PM
hi im 5'10 170 pounds. I havent really done much lifting seriously but I want to get into it.

I was wondering if i should cut and lose some weight than start lifting and exercising and build my body back by bulking? Or should i just bulk and hope i dont become even more pudgy lol...

My mom is going to let me take protein (im 15) and i will be lifting like 4 days a week almost and running about 3 miles a day. Does this seem a little to much?

phatmonky
03-01-2004, 05:38 PM
I'll hit the basics:

You're just starting out, so read, read , read. Get your form proper and your knowledge now. It will pay off in faster development,and will keep you from hurting yourself as you move up to bigger weights.

We can't really answer your questoin yet. Cutting or bulking depends on your goals (body building, powerlifting, particular sport, personal aesthetics). Do you know your body fat %? Got a picture?
You said "even more pudgy", so I'm going to guess you think you are a little heavy, but I don't want to say anything without further information.

Crosstraining with cardio and weights is good if that's your goal, but again, we need more information. Do you just want to get bigger muscles?

On the surface, 4 days a week doesn't mean anything either, unless you have a preset routine that you can offer for us to critique. Take a look at the WBB routines (link near the WBB forum) for good examples, and probably a good place for you to start lifting from.

Reply with some more info and everyone will be happy to help you. Glad to have you aboard :)

Saint Patrick
03-01-2004, 05:42 PM
I suggest bulking now to take full advantage of your newbie gains.

Don't worry if you gain a little pudge, you can cut later.

That's what I did when I started...

ON THE OTHER HAND, if you start cutting now, then you'll have a lean base to start with, and you can bulk on more lean mass before you need to cut.

Your call.

fishbrains
03-01-2004, 05:57 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~fishbrains/me.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~fishbrains/me2.JPG

Alright thats me. Sorry i just quickly took em...

I want to become muscular.. I want to be strong and fit.. And the asthetics that come along with it are a plus .. And once I hit puberty i thought it would be fun to try. And i can use it as a sports credit at my school.

(Plus a 6 pack never hurt anybody :clown: ) My brother goes to the gym and can teach me some of the stuff. (He's a small guy trying to get big) I do not know my body fat because the scale i have at home is whack.. But the most recent one I have is 17% but that seems quite small for me.

And as for a workout plan. I don't know what I want to do. Starting out seems like a big deal because there is so much to do...

What do you recommend?

geoffgarcia
03-01-2004, 06:03 PM
dont do any cardio...just lift

TheGimp
03-02-2004, 12:45 AM
I'd bulk. You should take full advantage of hitting puberty and with your running hopefully you can minimise the fat gain. As has been pointed out the most important thing is to educate yourself. For a workout plan check out www.wannabebig.com for some routines, WBB#1 is a good starting point.

fishbrains
03-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Sup guys. I'm going to be doing WBB routine #1 to start out. Along with 2 or more miles a day. Hopefully ill be ripped pretty nicely by next year :)

Would you guys be interested in a Journal from me?