PDA

View Full Version : tuna, cant stand the taste

fireman
03-02-2004, 11:27 AM
Any suggestions on how best to wolf down a can of tuna without losing my breakfast?
It is a quick and realitively small amount of food that gives approx. 30 grams of protein, so I would like to be able to eat it. but the taste (and texture) make it hard for me to finish a can. lol

geoffgarcia
03-02-2004, 11:40 AM
I know you mention its the taste that bothers you, but does texture come into play also?
I found in my tuna days that the starkist chunk light tuna in oil to have by far the best flavor.
with a dollop of Kens Creamy Parmisean w. Cracked peppericorn it turned into one of my all time favorite meals.

Veritas
03-02-2004, 11:50 AM
I add a teaspoon of light Mayo w/ mine. I'm not sure if thats healthy or not, and I am a fan of tuna sandwiches. I can't eat it plain.

Allyrulez
03-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Empty can onto plate, emotionally drape with 1 slice of processed cheese, swathe with hot sauce, microwave for ~2 minutes

Excellente!!!! Youll be surprised at how much better tuna tastes when hot (and the texture changes too)

heathj
03-02-2004, 01:06 PM
Make a tuna melt? I almost always add bread and butter pickles to my tuna...I love that combo.

Alke
03-02-2004, 02:39 PM
get some lemon flavored salt and pepper mix (found in the same grocery aisle as Ms.Dash), makes a can of tuna taste like it was prepared in a restaurant.

justhrowit
03-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Any suggestions on how best to wolf down a can of tuna without losing my breakfast?
It is a quick and realitively small amount of food that gives approx. 30 grams of protein, so I would like to be able to eat it. but the taste (and texture) make it hard for me to finish a can. lol

Sounds gross but....A little mayo and some SWEET relish works wonders. Seriously, it's pretty damn good.

j

RickTheDestroyer
03-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Dump in a tablespoon or two of lemonjuice. Seriously, like that I'll finish the can and want more. Without it it's all I can do to dump that sh*t down my throat.
Also, for the record, I think that Starkist sucks... but mine's in water. It just tastes watery and gross.

Allenronm
03-02-2004, 03:10 PM
Empty can onto plate, emotionally drape with 1 slice of processed cheese, swathe with hot sauce, microwave for ~2 minutes

Excellente!!!! Youll be surprised at how much better tuna tastes when hot (and the texture changes too)

yuck

Either suck it up, or find something else you like.

Saint Patrick
03-02-2004, 03:11 PM
Search the recipes forum.

EdgarMex
03-02-2004, 03:13 PM
1 can of tuna
1 can of tomato sauce
1 cup of frozen veggies

put everything on a pan, let it simmer for a few minutes, add pepper and other spices you like

wleon
03-02-2004, 05:31 PM
I love tuna maybe is because I been eating it since I was little, my mother used to send it to me in my camping trips... I guess I thought it was cool camping food back then ....

I put my tuna cans in the refrigerator a soon as I get from the grocery store so they are cold and nice..... when I need to eat I cook some rice and once done and I am ready to eat, I just put the cold tuna on the site and eat it with the rice... it is a wonderful meal..... but never ever cook/heatup the tuna it will smell like hell

wleon

phatmonky
03-02-2004, 06:52 PM
I eat it out of the can these days, but the ultimate tuna calls for a little mayo, some hardboiled eggs, and relish! MMMM MMMMM!

furious
03-02-2004, 11:15 PM
try the flavored tuna packs from starkist, sweet and spicey is great. I used to hate tuna as well, but now i base my diet around solid white albacore tuna from starkist, perfect texture and taste with a touch of onion powder, or emeril's southwest seasoning. mmmmm breakfast lunch and preworkout meal.

Severed Ties
03-02-2004, 11:30 PM
I just eat chicken instead.

ST

harryhoudini66
03-03-2004, 12:11 AM
I cant either, but when I feel like eating some I have some Tuna Creations. That stuff is pretty good.

ecliptic
03-03-2004, 08:12 AM
I eat tuna straight out of the can when necessary.. mm tuna... anything for the protein! Mostly eat starkist or bumblebee in water, although I tend to like starkist better. When making a sandwich though, add a little mayo and enjoy.

ogarchamplin
03-03-2004, 10:28 AM
2 cans white albacore in water drained. 2 tabls of lite mayo and a little mustard seed. Mix well and put on top of a bed of baby spinich leaves

KkKk
03-05-2004, 06:37 AM
i usually mix two tins together....then drink bout 3 cups of softdrink with it

xxr79xx
03-05-2004, 06:41 AM
try adding some lemon Juice they do this in the deli’s to get rid of real fishy taste, don't add too much though. :burger:

Thunderwulf
03-05-2004, 07:14 AM
1 lg can of tuna. Mixed with some egg beaters and mushrooms. Form into a patti and pan fry.

mmmm..

Ebu
03-05-2004, 07:56 AM
I eat it straight out of the can. I can't be bothered with "preparing" it. I would rather just suffer for 60 seconds. Also, like mentioned, they make chicken in a can too. Also, solid white albacore tastes a LOT better, as oppossed to chunk light tuna.

RomeoJunior
03-05-2004, 09:43 AM
I used to hate tuna as well, but now i base my diet around solid white albacore tuna from starkist,

New member here today guys. Just like I'm out here looking for help,.. I'm out to help others. I'm a lil stuck at 180 right now (trying to bulk up, 6'1", fast metab.) but I'll get to 200 sooner or later.

DO NOT base your diet on white albacore. It's fine every now and then,... but 10 or 15 yeras form now I'm sure you don't want any brain disorders. There is way too much mercury in white tuna (albacore) right now to base your diet around it,.. or have it every day. The mercury comes from the polution that the tuna eats. If you want an article, simply search yahoo for "White Tuna" and mercury.

However,...chunk Light tuna has about 1/3rd of the mercury in solid white,..since it's a mix of albacore and other fish. So that's just fine.

But you DO NOT want to be eating white tuna day in, day out. Yikes!

here is 1 link right here,.... http://www.knoxstudio.com/shns/story.cfm?pk=TUNAMERCURY-06-18-03&cat=AN

furious
03-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Mmmmm, Brain disorders.

datagram
03-06-2004, 12:27 AM
Mmmmm, Brain disorders.

Ah what the hell, you only live once :)

Personally I like the tuna creations by Starkist. Thats some good stuff.

thetopdog
03-06-2004, 01:03 AM
I just eat it, it doesn't taste good, and I don't try to make things taste good that aren't good tasting. I would rather not waste my time

Having a drink on hand (milk or water is good) to wash it down helps a LOT

mmckinley
03-07-2004, 10:21 PM
I like tuna and eat it out of the can, but sometimes if I feel like it I make a spicy tuna sandwich. I have a shaker filled with cayenne pepper, black pepper, paprika, and ground red peppers that I sprinkle on top. It's really good and it's spicy enough that you don't really taste the fish all that much.

Canned salmon, though more expensive, might taste better to you than tuna and has less mercury and more omega-3 fatty acids. Sardines have lower mercury still.

NateWheeler
03-08-2004, 12:33 PM
I just eat it outta the can, I dont find it hard but its always dry. I do woof it down though because im not fond of it either, I usual take large bites and wash it down with water after each mouthful..

pruneman
03-08-2004, 01:31 PM
it's pretty good mixed with salsa