PDA

View Full Version : Combining carbs and fat

Big & Tall
03-02-2004, 07:01 PM
I am anxiously thinking about my next bulk, and had a question. An article over at T-mag said that one should avoid meals containing large amount of carbs and fat. Meals should instead be either protein and carbs with very little fat, or protein and fat, with very little carbs. ( http://t-mag.com/html/147mass.html )

The claim is that avoiding an insulin response when there are high blood levels of fat will minimize storage of fat. Now, this is not something that I have followed in the past (although I have been on my cut, but that is a harder way to evaluate the method). From what I have seen on here, people generally don't follow this sort of system, and most of their meals contain significant portions of p, f & c, at least for bulking.

Has anyone followed this system? Is there any validity to the technique? How much benefit could it offer over meals combining all 3 macros instead of 2?

WillKuenzel
03-02-2004, 10:29 PM
I don't think its really all that necessary unless you are being totally obsessive with gaining as little fat as possible. I think it could make a very slight difference but nothing tremendously noticeable. If you don't have trouble getting the calories you need to bulk, then you could try it but I tend to have eat a bit extra fat to get the necessary calories to bulk successfully.

There's not too many real life studies to show that its very effective, if at all, but none of them were done on bodybuilders either so it could go both ways.

Severed Ties
03-02-2004, 11:33 PM
This is one of the methods I use for dieting, my experiments led me to the conclusion that the macronutrient content of a meal can have an effect on what the body will do with the calories.

I'm using it successfully at the moment for dieting and I'm sure I will apply some of these methods when I start my lean mass phase post contest.

ST

Big & Tall
03-03-2004, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I will probably try it on my bulk for a while and see how it goes.

galileo
03-03-2004, 03:41 PM
I had a lot of success keeping my fats to a minimum during my bulk (15-20%), which lead to having a low occurance of fat+carb meals.