PDA

View Full Version : brown rice recipes?

bpd
03-02-2004, 08:15 PM
I don't know if there are any real "recipes" for cooking brown rice, so does anyone have any suggestions on what I should top it with?

ogarchamplin
03-13-2004, 03:10 PM
My wife wont eat it plain so i give her a tabl of lowfat butter on her serving

Cardinal
03-14-2004, 02:13 PM
Tip from an Indian friend of mine about rice.

Try using cumin seed. Soak the rice about 10-15 minutes before cooking. Spray a sauce pan with nonstick spray or use something like olive oil. When the oil is hot, drop in some cumin seeds. You can add some other stuff like a little onion/green chili peppers too if you want. Then dump the rice in without water and let it absorb the flavor. Move it around a bunch so it doesn't burn.

Then just transfer to the rice cooker and add water. This method should work whatever seasonings you want to try. Cumin is a solid choice though and hard to screw up.

Cardinal
03-14-2004, 02:17 PM
You can also just make it ahead of time in the rice cooker with nothing on it.

Then heat up a skillet and mix in veggies or whatever you want. Fry the rice for a few minutes at a pretty high heat.

All of my ideas shouldn't take more than about 5-10 minutes work to get a humongous pot full of it to eat on a long time. It is meant to be uber simple and fast with almost no real work.

As a tip, keep things like onion and peppers prechopped and frozen in large bags...then you have literally no work to do other then just throwing them in the skillet when it comes time.