PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to drink protein shakes in the morning?

MisterEThoughts
03-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Is it ok to drink protein shakes in the morning?

Severed Ties
03-02-2004, 11:28 PM
Yes.

ST

MisterEThoughts
03-02-2004, 11:44 PM
ok thanks man

harryhoudini66
03-03-2004, 12:10 AM
yes, but since breakfast is the most important meal of the day i would focus on eating lots of other good stuff i.e. oatmeal (with whey), couple of eggs whites, maybe some wheat toast, natural peanut butter sandwich. I sometimes even had two of things I mentioned with a protein shake.

EdgarMex
03-03-2004, 10:23 AM
I prefer solid food to shakes, it keeps me fuller for a longer time.

geoffgarcia
03-03-2004, 10:37 AM
I'd be more inclined to take a MRP as opposed to a protein only shake.
proteinfactory.com has shakes specifically designed for AM and PM
that contain flax powder (fat), egg white powder, casein, wpc and some malto

Bottom line is anything is better than nothing

MisterEThoughts
03-04-2004, 10:46 PM
thanks a lot ima try that

Spartacus
03-05-2004, 02:31 AM
get some solid foods in teh morning, but use the protein shake when you don't have time to get solid protien.

Deathwish
03-05-2004, 10:34 AM
Try cookin up some egg beater and throw in a slice of bread and maybe a cup of milk or orange juice. It's better than a shake. But if you really don't have time then the shake wouldn't hurt.

RomeoJunior
03-05-2004, 12:58 PM
your body has gone on an 8 to 10 hr. fast. your metabolism is virtually frozen,... and your blood/sugar levels have dropped due to lack of food. Your body breaks down muscle (catabolism) right now, more than any other time of the day. You need to reverse this process back towards anabolism.

It's NOT the most important meal of the day for the sake of eating a bunch of stuff (that's better off being your second meal by the way). It's the most important meal of the day because your body will UTILIZE nutrients more effficiently than any other time of the day (due to these facts).

I'd say get some high GI carbs into your diet to replenish your blood glycogen, spike your insulin levels,... and have a couple scoops of whey, or at least 1 scoop with eggs or another type of protein,... but that whey is needed because your body is begging for nutrients (you just dont feel it), and you've just spiked your insulin levels and restored your muscle glycogen, so the whey is allowed to go directly towards building muscle.

Your metabolism, once frozen, has just been cranked up and you can continue burning fat thru the rest of the day. I'd actually drink this shake as soon as I wake up (if you're serious about your bodybuilding) and have a well-balanced, fiber-containing meal a couple hours after I've reversed this catabolic state.

defcon
03-05-2004, 01:48 PM
I like 1.5 scoops of whey, 2 cups of milk all mixed up, and some whole wheat bread or oatmeal while I live in a dorm. While at home i would rather 1 scoop of whey, some oatmeal and egg whites tho.

bIgHwN86
03-05-2004, 01:57 PM
i live at a boarding school so sometimes the breakfasts in the dining hall isn't too great, i would have a protein shake with two cups of skim milk and then a bagel or bran muffins.

Spartacus
03-05-2004, 03:38 PM
i don't think spiking insulin is a good idea for breakfast, oatmeal is a better way to go.

NateWheeler
03-06-2004, 07:47 PM
your body has gone on an 8 to 10 hr. fast. your metabolism is virtually frozen,... and your blood/sugar levels have dropped due to lack of food. Your body breaks down muscle (catabolism) right now, more than any other time of the day. You need to reverse this process back towards anabolism.

It's NOT the most important meal of the day for the sake of eating a bunch of stuff (that's better off being your second meal by the way). It's the most important meal of the day because your body will UTILIZE nutrients more effficiently than any other time of the day (due to these facts).

I'd say get some high GI carbs into your diet to replenish your blood glycogen, spike your insulin levels,... and have a couple scoops of whey, or at least 1 scoop with eggs or another type of protein,... but that whey is needed because your body is begging for nutrients (you just dont feel it), and you've just spiked your insulin levels and restored your muscle glycogen, so the whey is allowed to go directly towards building muscle.

Your metabolism, once frozen, has just been cranked up and you can continue burning fat thru the rest of the day. I'd actually drink this shake as soon as I wake up (if you're serious about your bodybuilding) and have a well-balanced, fiber-containing meal a couple hours after I've reversed this catabolic state.

This guy knows his stuff!

Anyway, hes right on the money..
Although it could arguably be the 2ND most important to the post-workout meal...

After you work-out it is important to get protein in you as fast as possible (fast absorbing protein) and make sure to get your insulin levels high by eating something with a high GI.

RomeoJunior, im curious, have you ever been to www.ast-ss.com before? If not I suggest checking it out..

HighExpectation
03-06-2004, 08:53 PM
I usually have a meal of oatmeal, juice, milk, eggs, and some fruit. If i dont have time, ill slip in a MRP.

Saint Patrick
03-06-2004, 09:24 PM
i don't think spiking insulin is a good idea for breakfast, oatmeal is a better way to go.

I agree.