PDA

View Full Version : Squats and wrist support question.

Max-Mex
03-03-2004, 08:39 AM
I have started doing back squats again and I place the bar lower on my back. I find this a lot better for me and I feel much more stable when doing squats. That being said, my issue is with my wrists. Because I have the far much lower, my wrist will eventually start to bend back more because the bar shifts some during the reps. When I first attempted 275, I did six reps but man my wrists were killing me. I was hoping to do 2x6 but with the wrist problem, I knew this was gonna happen. When I did my squats today, I did 4x3 and that helped some. I also switched from a closed grip to an open grip. This seemed to help some more.

I'm thinking about buying some wrist raps to further stabilize my wrists. Any other tips to help with this?

P.S. I looked at some photo's of heavy Pl'ers squatting, and I see their wrists do the same thing.

ElPietro
03-03-2004, 08:43 AM
This is why I take about 15 minutes warming up/stretching for squats, and that's before putting any weight on the bar.

I think squats are responsible for more shoulder, elbow and wrist impingements than people realize.

Max-Mex
03-03-2004, 08:48 AM
Well, I do warmup before squatting, and the wrist are the only issue. When I start my wrists are fine, it's just after every rep, the bars moves just enough that my wrists are bent back little by little.

Max-Mex
03-03-2004, 08:51 AM
I have to say though, putting the bar lower on the back is da bomb. I don't have to use a pad, and it feels so much more stable. I don't know why I never tried this before.

ElPietro
03-03-2004, 08:56 AM
Yeah for sure. You should try it with speed squats. I have a permanent scab in between my shoulder blades from the friction! :p

geoffgarcia
03-03-2004, 10:04 AM
front squats would be easier on your wrists also...

I can't do bar on the back ATF squats they kill my form.

Max-Mex
03-03-2004, 10:09 AM
Well, the funny thing is, I did front squats for about a year. I switched to normal squats because I was getting frustrated with my lack of progress. I was benching almost as much as I was front squatting.

I did make good progress with the fronts, and it helped me prepare for the regualr squats. I just felt I was stronger than what I was front squatting. I can barely front squat 2@275 but I can back squat 6@275 (more like 8 if I wanted).

Max-Mex
03-03-2004, 10:10 AM
Oh yea, my form at 275 Front is so so. Back squats at 275 is almost flawless.

EdgarMex
03-03-2004, 10:19 AM
How low do you place the bar?

Max-Mex
03-03-2004, 10:59 AM
uhm lessee. It below the natural hump on my back (traps). I have to pinch my back some and then I set the bar there. Maybe I can find a pic and show you where.

EdgarMex
03-03-2004, 11:02 AM
I was just curious about the placemente, but it sounds pretty much like I do it. However, what bothers me sometimes are my elbows, mostly if I place my hands closer to my shoulders.

Seanzilla
03-03-2004, 11:06 AM
The simplest solution would be to pick up a pair of medium length Inzer Z wrist wraps.

If those don't aleviate the problem, then check out Dave Draper's Top Squat.

http://www.davedraper.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TTS&Category_Code=T

The Top Squat is awesome! I use it for when my shoulders are really tight from heavy benching (Most of the time, I'm able to space out my heavy benching and squatting training days.) The Top Squat allows you to perform regular, freeweight barbell squats and it takes the pressure off of your wrists and shoulders.

-Seanzilla

EdgarMex
03-03-2004, 11:08 AM
so basically you use it to make a safety squat bar out of a regular bar, huh? Interesting.

Seanzilla
03-03-2004, 11:11 AM
Also, the Top Squat only weighs about 20 pounds (you can take it in and out of the gym) and it's about $100 (affordable.)

Max-Mex
03-03-2004, 11:19 AM
I was just curious about the placemente, but it sounds pretty much like I do it. However, what bothers me sometimes are my elbows, mostly if I place my hands closer to my shoulders.

I place my hands on the outer rings and eblows and shoulders are fine. Wrist were the last thing on my mind when I tried for the first time. Thought shoulders would be more of a problem, but haven't been in my 2 sessions.

Mademan118
03-03-2004, 11:23 AM
maybe if you use an ox-bar?

justhrowit
03-03-2004, 12:53 PM
Max-Mex,

Have you considered widening your hand placement. I think you mentioned you place your hands on the outer rings. I'm guessing you put your first finger on the power rings then. Maybe widen it. Put the tips of your thumbs on the rings. May or may not help out. However, it may put more tension on your elboys depending on how low the bar actually is.

Otherwise...if you like the bar low...you mat kjust have to deal with it. It could be your wirst just aren't accustomed to the new grip. May take a few weeks to really feel better. Hopefully yopur wrists aren't hurting or bothering you afterwards. That could lead to different problems.

Tell us how you make out!

J

Adam
03-03-2004, 01:13 PM
If you just get sore when the bar moves on your back try using some chalk on your back and that should stop the bar from moving on you and end up being easier on your wrists.

Max-Mex
03-03-2004, 01:23 PM
J: So far my wrists have been fine after. No pain whatsoever. Which is good. As you mentioned, if the pain didn't go away, I'd be worried. You're right about wrists getting used to it. That's probably what will happen or need to happen. Gonna pick up some Inzer wrist wraps.

Adam: Thought about the chalk but I wear a T-Shirt (kinda tight fit). Don't think the chalk will help. I guess I could swtich to a tank top and bare my back but then I gotta figure out how to get the chalk on my back. :D

Adam
03-03-2004, 03:57 PM
The chalk still helps alot with a t-shirt on. Thats how I always squat.
Have to get someone to chalk you up though.

Seanzilla
03-04-2004, 01:41 AM
You can get gym chalk and Inzer wrist wraps from The Powerlifting Superstore. 1-800-268-2248

Max-Mex
03-04-2004, 04:43 AM
Have the chalk (for deads). Just gotta order the wraps.

Anthony
03-04-2004, 05:07 AM
Inzer wrist wraps are awesome, I definitely recommend them.

Max-Mex
03-04-2004, 08:12 AM
Any tips on what size to get? i got about 6" wrists.

MixmasterNash
03-04-2004, 08:38 AM
2' seems to work for most wrists, though it really depends on the wrap material and how stretchy it is.

Anthony
03-04-2004, 09:43 AM
I'd get the medium length (can't remember the exact size) if you are going with the Inzers.

WannabeSmalljjk
03-05-2004, 05:21 PM
I've never seen anyone use wrist straps while squatting, these would affect your grip (less grip more wrist support). How's your grip strength? Don't know if you have them but can you crush a 2 or 3 captin of crush?http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/
How hard do you grip the bar? I grip the bar as tight as i can to ensure that it doesnt move while I squat.

Sometimes when using sub-maximal weight I drape my hands near the outer edges of the bar (8ft bar). I'm not actually gripping the bar, my hands are over the bar resting, I only do this on realtively light weight. Hope that helps...

Max-Mex
03-05-2004, 07:20 PM
Lot's of PL'ers use wrist straps. My grip strength is pretty good. Can hold 100Db's for about 35 secs. I can DL 365 for 2 sets of 6 (no straps, only chalk). I can see where you might think it's grip strength but it's wrist strength. Keeping your wrists straight has nothing to do with grip strength. Keep your palm closed, that's grip strength.

Anthony
03-05-2004, 08:36 PM
I think he confused straps and wraps. :)

Max-Mex
03-05-2004, 09:13 PM
yea my bad too, meant wrist wraps.