PDA

View Full Version : What to feed a track star?

vegetapower
03-03-2004, 09:48 AM
Hello everyone, I am wondering what would be the best types of foods to eat that would optimize performance in Track. Also what types of foods would be best foods to eat right before a big meet?

geoffgarcia
03-03-2004, 10:35 AM
what events?

Thunderwulf
03-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Not sure which event your talking about, but I threw Shot and Disc for about 15 years.

I never really had a specific pre-meet meal. I tried to keep my meals pretty balanced all the time.

Im sure its different for runners. Most I knew would load up on the pastas.

vegetapower
03-03-2004, 08:19 PM
What I am talking about is running from the 100meter races to the long 2 mile races. what would a person eat to get optimal performance?

Optimum08
03-03-2004, 08:46 PM
i would have to agree wit tha pasta solution tha night before for tha carbs but other then that im kinda in tha dark?? maybe some protein too? sry but pasta is what im pretty sure about...

geoffgarcia
03-04-2004, 07:38 AM
What I am talking about is running from the 100meter races to the long 2 mile races. what would a person eat to get optimal performance?
for optimum performance in the 100,200,400 creatine should be on your menu.
if your running a fast <1:55 800 then you would probably get some benefit also...

Post workout you should consume a typical post workout shake with plenty of protein and carbs...it would also be good to consume one 1-1.5 hours before a workout.

Glutamine, while questionable in its effectiveness, should be another supplement on your menu as muscle recovery/repair is a high concern.

Apart from that I found that there is nothing special about running track than from regular lifting or other sports.

A healthy diet is the #1 tool for success

ps, I also found that a dose or two of pepto bismol 10-20 minutes before a race helped....would totally kill all my stomach butterflys

Also when I was running there were rumors floating around that nicotine assisted in reaction time and muscle twitch...if I was a sprinter this is something I might do some research on, and consider chewing a piece of nicotine gum within 5 minutes of my event.

are you a high school or college runner?