PDA

View Full Version : Its about time

ogarchamplin
03-03-2004, 10:08 AM
Click Here (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=509&e=4&u=/ap/mcdonald_s_no_supersize)

Maybe the obesity rate will start to drop in America

EdgarMex
03-03-2004, 10:21 AM
So now it is the restaurant's responsibility to make sure people don't eat too much crap? :rolleyes:

ogarchamplin
03-03-2004, 10:31 AM
No but maybe bring back portion control to America. I know as humans we are responsible for what we eat and the amount. I did not get as fat as i am by Mcdonalds forcing me to Supersize. But once i started looking at what a serving of anything was i was shocked. At one time my wife and i would eat a box of Hamburger Helper for dinner. Well that box is for 4-5 people. I just hope that this makes people more aware thats all

geoffgarcia
03-03-2004, 10:34 AM
I did not get as fat as i am by Mcdonalds forcing me to Supersize. But once i started looking at what a serving of anything was i was shocked. At one time my wife and i would eat a box of Hamburger Helper for dinner. Well that box is for 4-5 people. I just hope that this makes people more aware thats all
ignorance isn't an excuse

EdgarMex
03-03-2004, 10:39 AM
I don't think that's the answer to the problem. Just like taxing cigarrettes doesn't deter people from smoking. The prohibition didn't stop people from drinking either.

ogarchamplin
03-03-2004, 10:41 AM
depends on how you were brought up. If you were taught proper and healthy eating habits is one thing. But if you grew up in a family where food was the centerpiece it can be misleading as an adult. If there isnt any ingnorance why is their such a high obesity rate and type2 dibates in children now?

ogarchamplin
03-03-2004, 10:43 AM
I don't think that's the answer to the problem. Just like taxing cigarrettes doesn't deter people from smoking. The prohibition didn't stop people from drinking either.

No but educating people has. At one time smoking was not "harmful" to anyone. Then the warnings were changed to "may cause" and now it says "it will". Plus the Truth ads have made alot of people realize how bad smoking is. Educating the public is what is needed

EdgarMex
03-03-2004, 10:44 AM
Cause parents feed kids crap cause it's easier and sometimes cheaper than real food. I know people that was raised eating good healthy food, but when they became adults it was easier to stop at a fast foor restaurant or get canned/processed food. I think it has a lot more to do with people looking for an easy comfortable way to do things than with education.

ogarchamplin
03-03-2004, 05:09 PM
I think if you look at society as a whole the family meal has changed. The invention of the microwave has caused the family meal to be on the go. When i was growing up we had meals that we liked and some that we didnt but we learned to respect other peoples wishes and try new foods. Now everyone in the family can have what they want just by zapping it.

EdgarMex
03-03-2004, 05:18 PM
Oh, yeah, it has changed a lot. I remember up until I was in high school we used to have both lunch and dinner all the family together. And there was no choice on whether we wanted to or not. That's something you don't see nowadays.

As you mentioned, "back in the day" you, as a kid, ate whatever was on the plate. I remember when me or my brother complained about something we didn't like, the answer invariably was "you're going to eat it anyway" and that was the end of the complaint. Now, when mothers actually cook meals they make what the kids want not what they need to eat. A few days ago I was talking to a friend and she was complaining that she had to cook a meal for her husband, another for her son and something else for her daughter! :)