PDA

View Full Version : Lifting Belt

ElPietro
03-04-2004, 02:21 PM
Just a quick question, as I'll probably in the near future order a plifting belt, most likely the Inzer Lever belt. It comes in 10mm and 13mm sizes. If I were to compete the federation would be governed by IPF rules. Are both sizes legal, and if so, is there much difference between the two as far as performance or comfort? Just wondering as they aren't exactly cheap, so I'd rather get some opinions first.

ElPietro
03-04-2004, 02:30 PM
Ok, just went through the rules and 13mm is legal. Just wondering what difference the thickness of the belt makes, specifically only a few mm.

Adam
03-04-2004, 02:32 PM
Not sure on the differences but everyone that i've seen lifting has worn the 13mm.

ElPietro
03-04-2004, 02:33 PM
OMG, these things come in pink! Now I'm for sure ordering! :p

Anthony
03-04-2004, 02:37 PM
http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/ipf_technical_rulebook.htm

Belt
Competitors may wear a belt. If worn, it shall be on the outside of the lifting suit.
Materials and Construction :
(a ) The main body shall be made of leather, vinyl or other similar non-stretch material in one or
more laminations which may be glued and / or stitched together.
(b ) It shall not have additional padding, bracing or supports of any material either on the surface or
concealed within the laminations of the belt.
(c ) The buckle shall be attached at one end of the belt by means of studs and / or stitching.
(d ) The belt may have a buckle with one or two prongs or “quick release” type (“quick release”
referring to lever.)
(e ) A tongue loop shall be attached close to the buckle by means of studs / or stitching. Many belts
still appear with a sliding loop and some with two loops. This is incorrect and makes the belt illegal. The tongue end of the belt is often wrapped two thirds of the way around the waist and studded into the belt. This is not correct and in point of fact can make the belt up to 26 mm thick, illegal. A customized belt tailored to fit the lifter is much more presentable.
(f ) The name of the lifter, the lifter’s nation, state or club may appear on the outside of the belt.
Dimensions :
1. Width of belt maximum 10 cm.
2. Thickness of belt maximum 13 mm along the main length.
3. Inside width of buckle maximum 11 cm.
4. Outside width of buckle maximum 13 cm.
5. Tongue loop maximum width 5 cm.
6. Distance between end of belt and far end of tongue loop maximum 25 cm.

A guy at my gym has the 13mm version and I went with the 10mm version. There is a difference in the thickness (obviously) and therefore how stiff it is. How this translates into comfort or performance, I have no idea. I'm pleased with my purchase, though. Will you be competing in the CPU?

ElPietro
03-04-2004, 02:54 PM
Yeah, that's where I'll compete when I get to it. I've trained at Bill Jamison's place once. Really cool guy, he's the chair of officiating for the CPU, and president of the Ontario Powerlifting Associatione. He had a lot of cool stories, I think he was one of the guys there when the IPF was founded. His sons compete and are pretty cool.

My former training partner for about 3 or 4 months was Harnek Rai, who's also competed internationally. I think he's the VP of the Ontario branch of the CPU, and also an IPF certified ref. When my back is feeling close to 100% I'll probably give him a call and see what he's been up to.

Anthony
03-04-2004, 03:01 PM
Cool, there's a CPU competition in May that Adam is going to compete in. I'm pretty sure I'll be going down for the weekend to cheer him on. :D

ElPietro
03-04-2004, 03:02 PM
I'm sure you'll make an excellent cheerleader Anthony. :)

Anthony
03-04-2004, 03:10 PM
I try to help and this is the thanks I get!

Adam
03-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Awesome, I'll have a cheering section!
You better bring your pong-pong's incase they don't have any:p

Anthony
03-04-2004, 06:27 PM
I'm going to replace your chalk with baby powder if you keep it up!

phreak
03-05-2004, 01:01 AM
I used the 13 mm, but in retrospect I should have taken the 10 mm. The 13 is too stiff IMO. Maybe 13 is called for when squatting over 800, but I'm not there yet and so can't comment on that.