PDA

View Full Version : white rice....

carlossalsa8
03-04-2004, 03:10 PM
many people is saying that white rice or white bread isn't reccomendable, but it is not recomendable when dieting or bulking? or both? can anyone explain why. Thanks

thanky0ujesus
03-04-2004, 08:08 PM
i could never give up white rice.. i'm filipino.. we eat everything with rice.. hotdogs, spam, spaghetti LOL.. well i dont but i've seen it

sorry i didn't answer the question.. i've heard it has a lot of sugar compared to brown rice

Spartacus
03-04-2004, 08:33 PM
uh, i would still recomend brown rice on a bulk.

Saint Patrick
03-04-2004, 09:45 PM
White rice would be good before or after a workout.

Brown Rice has a GI Rating of 56

White Rice has a GI rating of 70

defcon
03-05-2004, 05:19 AM
As patty said, the only difference ( to my knowlegde ) is their rating on the GI index... There shouldn't be any sugar in rice anyway? Either way, it may not make a huge difference in your body transformation as long as you don't eat too much of it, and stick within your calorie limits, but i wuld recommend brown rice because it looks nicer, tastes better, and is better for you. :P

Ebu
03-05-2004, 07:59 AM
Brown rice has more "nutritional" value also, doesn't it?

Minotaur
03-05-2004, 09:11 AM
Brown rice has the hull, fiber and more nutrients intact. I think you have to develop a taste for it. I can take it or leave it, as I'd rather eat white rice (Goya Grano Mediano, medium grain)... hey, I live with a Puerto Rican. :D We use a lot of rice. White rice won't kill you, in moderation, like pasta and everything else.

RomeoJunior
03-05-2004, 09:57 AM
you guys have to educate yourselves on rice too. they're alot like potatoes,... different starches (though they both look similar), different make-up and different GI. White potatoes (like idaho) have GI's up to 90,... same with long grained rice. Some extra long grained rices (like the minute kind) are as high as 109 i've seen (how can they be higher than pure glucose? I'm still tryingto figure that out). What I do no from personal use is 40g of dextrose has only gotten my mg/dL reading as high as 124 so far (i have a glucose monitor). How bout I had a couple servings of long grained rice with some chili and my readings were as high as 152 mg/dL about an hour after!!

If you really want to know the way these things work in ur body, the only true answer is to get a glucose monitor.

The shorter the grain, generally, the smaller the GI number will be. so for steady insulin levels, u should stick to medium to short grained rice. Don't take my word for it though, look up the info ;-)

Deathwish
03-05-2004, 10:05 AM
I'm indian so I eat rice everyday too and with everything. But I managed to get my parents to start cooking brown rice instead of white rice. It's healtheir and it has a lower GI index. I like the taste of it...it's different and white rice gets so boring.

Minotaur
03-06-2004, 07:31 AM
Keep in mind that you can lower the GI of a particular food by what you eat it with. White rice with a full meal containing protein, fat and other carbs (vegs and fiber) will have a lower GI than white rice alone.

ogarchamplin
03-06-2004, 11:44 AM
spam

I love Spam fried with Brown Sugar :drooling: i havent had it in three months because of the diet but man i miss it

wleon
03-06-2004, 12:39 PM
I have been agonizing about this, i have read the articles about brown being better, but I am Latino, and I eat everything with rice ... yes my family some times have eat spaghetti with rice... but in 27 years I have never had a brown rice meal cooked at home... i have ate it in someone else house, and it was hard to get used to.

I may start eating brown rice 2 times a week or something, but it will be really hard to get rid of white rice completely, every delicious meal that I know, has white rice.

Wleon

carlossalsa8
03-06-2004, 03:15 PM
white rice is delicious though. I love white rice, specially the steamed one. I like brown rice too but which one will take longer to digest white or brown?
so white rice wouldnt be recommend it while bulking, how about while dieting? I have decided to eat both :o).

chris mason
03-06-2004, 03:39 PM
:swear:

This whole GI thing is driving me nuts!

Look, I have dieted on more than one occassion, quite successfully I might add, and I used white rice extensively in those diets.