PDA

View Full Version : I'm dying here... Tried your guys' advice, tried Atkins... Help!

dardar
03-04-2004, 05:24 PM
Okay.

I was here a while ago and tried all of your guys' advice. High protein, lots of exercise (Cardio plus weights) and I lost 7 pounds in 2 months with not a whole lot of gained muscle definition.

I tried Atkins for 2 months (2 months spent in "induction") and lost 5 lbs.

I don't know what to do and those Atkins board guys seem to be pretty clueless. Thought I'd come back here and see what you all thought?

How does 70-20-10 sound for an eating regiment (Protein-carbs-fat)? That plus an extreme regiment of exercise... Not necessarily a million times a day, but moreso following it like a nun follows the bible.

Or does anyone have a link to a full solution to this? Any sort of help?

Thanks guys.

dardar
03-04-2004, 05:26 PM
Also-- What do you guys think about Xenadrine EFX? Think it would help at all?

I'm a very unenergetic person, so if nothing else but a boost, it would help.

raniali
03-04-2004, 05:35 PM
i think 70-20-10 sounds awful

fat is essential to good health and a proper diet. essential fats easily come from fish oil and flax, while peanut butter, nuts, olive and coconut oil are good sources for other healthy fats.

the key to losing weight - regardless of the diet - is to consume less calories than you require. i would error on the side of protein and fat before i would carbs, but that is my opinion. post your diet - it is easier to give advice if one knows how you are eating.

as to xen efx - it was ok for me. doesn't give you jitters like other thermo products because there is no ephedra. but before you try weight loss supplements, get your diet and training in order. they make the most difference.

EdgarMex
03-04-2004, 06:37 PM
40-30-30 would be better IMO, and like raniali said, if you want to lose weight you need to burn more cals than you eat. As a starting point eat 12 x bodyweight cals per day for a couple of weeks. After that, if you're losing more than 1-1.5 lbs per week up the cals a bit, if your losing less than 1 lb per week decrease your cals a bit more.

BUFF STUFF
03-04-2004, 06:49 PM
dardar yes I think you should chuck in some ECA apart from the great pumps you get in the gym it will help strip that unwanted fat off you.

Use it as a tool though, its no miracle pill, the secret to a six pack is in the kitchen.

Failing that try DNP lol :D

dardar
03-04-2004, 07:34 PM
I can't find an ECA anywhere. Also, I'm getting my wisdom teeth out in a few weeks, so I'm going to be on some medication for that and won't be able to take an ECA.

EdgarMex
03-04-2004, 07:36 PM
ECA is just an aid, you don't need it to lose weight, but you do need to keep your calorie intake lower than maintenance

Y2A
03-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Whats wrong with losing 7lbs in 2 months? Thats almost 1/week like you should be...

TheGimp
03-05-2004, 12:47 AM
i think 70-20-10 sounds awful

I agree. If you want to go the ketogenic route I think something like 30pro/10carb/60fat is more appropriate. Also Atkins is not the best ketogenic diet for weight lifters. Try something like the Ultimate Diet 2.0 - www.bodyrecomposition.com .

Spartacus
03-05-2004, 02:24 AM
i wonder what your calories were like before you started dieting. you don't want to reduce too drastically, just cut a bit, and eat better foods. & excercies.

prof
03-05-2004, 04:14 AM
go read the articles on the main site about food, work out your calories using the equations given there

and most important, KEEP A DIARY, so you can monitor your calories, don't guess, KNOW

Deathwish
03-05-2004, 10:29 AM
I wouldn't bother doing a Ketogenic diet. It's better to learn how to eat healthy for the rest of your life. That way you'll lose weight and keep the weight off without too much trouble. There are no miracles to losing fat. I follow a 40/30/30 and 12xBW calories. It's been working for me, losing about 1-2 lbs a week. I go to www.fitday.com to keep track of my calories.

Spartacus
03-05-2004, 10:49 AM
ketogenic can be useful for the significantly obese, but you are right a transition to a different diet can be difficult from a food selection point of view.

ctarden
03-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Okay.

I was here a while ago and tried all of your guys' advice. High protein, lots of exercise (Cardio plus weights) and I lost 7 pounds in 2 months with not a whole lot of gained muscle definition.

I tried Atkins for 2 months (2 months spent in "induction") and lost 5 lbs.

I don't know what to do and those Atkins board guys seem to be pretty clueless. Thought I'd come back here and see what you all thought?

How does 70-20-10 sound for an eating regiment (Protein-carbs-fat)? That plus an extreme regiment of exercise... Not necessarily a million times a day, but moreso following it like a nun follows the bible.

Or does anyone have a link to a full solution to this? Any sort of help?

Thanks guys.

Are you really serious about losing weight? You have to stick with something that works... Personally I lost 25lbs in 2 months and gained good muscle definition...

I am still somewhat following the program... Except I eat a grip of protein, and I follow HIIT training for all my cardio... I went from 178lbs to 155lbs in 2 months... I also went from 20% BF to 11% BF...

I am very serious about my workouts... I do abs and cardio 3 days a week and lift 5 days a week...

Also, you should never follow induction for that long... Induction should only be done for 2-3 weeks max...

I have yet to meet one person that followed the program religiously with exercise not lose weight... Are you trying to cut?

dardar
03-06-2004, 07:49 AM
I'm trying to lose weight at the moment, and gain some definition.

I'm 6'2" 230lbs and it shows around my gut. I'm just trying to get into better shape.

Max-Mex
03-06-2004, 09:53 AM
Dardar, worry less about your ratios and more about total calories. Create a reasonable calorie deficit and you will lose weight (along with the weights and cardio). Reasonable!. Dont starve yourself.

Budiak
03-06-2004, 10:59 AM
How much fat do you have to lose? 7lbs may not make that much of an appearance impact if you are really fat. You have to get pretty low in bf before you'll start noticing pound to pound losses/gains.

ogarchamplin
03-06-2004, 11:32 AM
40/30/30 6 small meals a day. it has worked for me!

HighExpectation
03-06-2004, 06:50 PM
40/30/30 6 small meals a day. it has worked for me!

:withstupi

Calories IN < Calories OUT. I have been on this diet for about 2 months and have lost about 10-12 pounds and have gain some definition. No one said it was gonna be easy but i am happy with my results. I am planning to start taking an ECA stack soon to aid but not in any hurry. I also use fitday.com to track my calorie intake. I has helped a lot.

my .02 cents

harryhoudini66
03-06-2004, 06:59 PM
My CKD consists of 170 Protein, 125 Fat, 0-25 carbs. I also use a ECA without the A though. When I was doing lots of cardio I would average 3-5 pounds of weight loss per week. I was doing 30 minutes though prior and after weight routine.

Now I am losing about 1-2 pounds per week.