PDA

View Full Version : powerlifting red light questions

biggimp
03-04-2004, 05:33 PM
ok i was wondering, what do you have to do to get a red light in a powerlifting comp?

like for deadlift, do they care if you have to rock back and forth 2 or 3 times to get the weight up (i know this isnt smart, but i was deadlifting today and, and when i had legs straight and back almost straight, i had to jolt my body a few times to get standing straight.) i dont know if they care or not, do they only care if you stand up straight or what?

and for squat, on rare occaisions, my knees go in together, but i still get it up. once again, do they really care that much?

thanks for any info.

Anthony
03-04-2004, 06:02 PM
http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/

Causes for disqualification of a Squat
1. Failure to observe the Chief Referee’s signals at the commencement or completion of a lift.
2. Double bouncing at the bottom of the lift, or any downward movement during the ascent.
3. Failure to assume an upright position with the knees locked at the commencement or completion of the lift.
4. Stepping backward or forward although lateral movement of the sole and rocking the feet between the ball and heel is permitted.
5. Failure to bend the knees and lower the body until the top surface of the legs at the hip joint are lower than the top of the knees, as in the diagram below.
6. Any movement of the bar on the back more than the diameter / thickness of the bar below its starting position.
7. Contact with the bar or the lifter by the spotter / loaders between the Chief Referee’s signals in order to make the lift easier.
8. Contact of the elbows or upper arms with the legs, slight contact is permitted if there is no supporting that might aid the lifter.
9. Any dropping or dumping of the bar after completion of the lift.
10. Failure to comply with any of the items outlined under Rules of Performance for the squat.

Causes for Disqualification of a Bench Press
1. Failure to observe the Chief Referee’s signals at the commencement or completion of the lift.
2. Any change in the elected lifting position during the lift proper i.e. : any raising movement of the shoulders, buttocks, from the bench, or feet from the floor / blocks - plates or lateral movement of hands on the bar. Slight or very minor foot movement is allowed. Both sole and heel must stay in contact with the floor / blocks.
3. Heaving, bouncing, or sinking the bar into the chest after it is motionless in such a way as to make the lift easier.
4. Any pronounced / exaggerated uneven extension of the arms during the lift.
5. Any downward movement of the bar in the course of being pressed out.
6. Failure to press the bar to full extension of the arms simultaneously at the completion of the lift.
7. Contact with the bar or the lifter by the spotter / loaders between the Chief Referee’s signals, in order to make the lift easier.
8. Any contact of the lifter’s feet with the bench or its supports.
9. Failure to comply with any of the items outlined under the Rules of Performance.

Causes for Disqualification of a Dead Lift
1. Any downward movement of the bar before it reaches the final position.
2. Failure to stand erect with the shoulders back.
3. Failure to lock the knees straight at the completion of the lift.
4. Supporting the bar on the thighs during the performance of the lift. If the bar edges up the thigh but is not supported this is not reason for disqualification. The lifter should benefit in all decisions of doubt made by the referee.
5. Stepping backward or forward, although lateral movement of the foot or rocking feet between ball and heel is permitted.
6. Lowering the bar before receiving the Chief Referee’s signal.
7. Allowing the bar to return to the platform without maintaining control with both hands, i.e. : releasing the bar from the palms of the hand.
8. Failure to comply with any of the items outlined under Rules of Performance

biggimp
03-04-2004, 07:39 PM
thanks a lot.

Chris Rodgers
03-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Make sure you are constantly forcing your knees out in the squat.

ElPietro
03-09-2004, 08:32 AM
Gimp, your rocking motion probably would fall under categories 1 or 4 in the deadlift rules. Basically, it sounds like you are hitching which is a common thing to do when trying to pull heavy. When you jerk the weight most of the time it will go down first then up, which will get you a red. Also, before you jerk you will probably be resting it on your thighs. It's really hard sometimes to catch it yourself when you lift. I know many times I've felt that I made a pretty smooth lift and my partner would tell me I hitched, so it's not always easy to detect.

biggimp
03-09-2004, 06:10 PM
ahh, i got 425, it was a lot easier at the meet for some reason... thanks again for the info, i have another meet in april, ill remember that when i pull 450 :)