PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of entering my first powerlifting comp...

Junior132
03-04-2004, 06:47 PM
I am extremely into weightlifting and am thinking of entering my first powerlifting competition. My stats...

Weight: 145

BP: 230 (Think I will be at around 240 by competition if I enter)
Squat: 315 ish (Trippled 275)
Dead: (no idea, locked out 315 twice during a workout after 225 and 275)

Do you guys think that I would do alright if I entered a local competition in my weightclass/age group? I'd rather wait and get stronger than get my butt kicked. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

-Brian

biggimp
03-04-2004, 07:54 PM
you are pretty good for your weight class and age. you def. need to do it. meets arent about winning or losing, nobody cares. you have a great bench for your weight, and your dl and squat are good too. i would advise trying 315 before your competition though. although you can rep 275 3 times, and on a max calculator that would equal around 305-315, doing 40 pounds more than your body has ever done is more difficult than it seems. but you should get it.

i say go for it, youll do good.

HORNEDFROGS07
03-04-2004, 08:58 PM
Great stats for your age, and especially your size. Go for it.

jixxxer
03-09-2004, 11:28 AM
Go for it!

ElPietro
03-09-2004, 11:46 AM
Go for it regardless. Even though powerlifting is a competition, it's more a brotherhood of lifters that are getting together to cheer each other on. Ultimately, you'll learn a lot, and probably get some good tips from other lifters and learn to progress from there.

Those are good lifts, is that with equipment? You could always consider getting some if you don't. Things such as knee wraps, belt, decent pair of shoes, bench shirt, etc.

Good luck, you'll have a blast.

Anthony
03-09-2004, 12:08 PM
I agree, go for the experience and not just to win. There are some damn good lifters out there and how well you place depends on whether they show up or not. Don't be concerned with the standings, be concerned with whether you improved or not.

And Petie, when you decline to compete in June I'm going to dig up this post. Just so you know.

ElPietro
03-09-2004, 12:21 PM
I think the comp is in July foo! If I don't compete, it'll only be out of concern for your fragile ego!

ElPietro
03-09-2004, 12:45 PM
Actually, I think you are right, as there are no comps listed in July, so maybe Harnek was referring to the London Open first week of June. This sucks for me.