PDA

View Full Version : Comp question...VBA

pusher
03-06-2004, 10:31 PM
I want to learn VBA for Excel and Access, there's a bunch of books out there, which one do you think would be the best?

GonePostal
03-06-2004, 11:48 PM
I would get a full blown VB(Visual basic) book rather then a specific VB acess book. I don't know how much the syntax of VBA differers then VB though... I assume you are also new to programmming. If you are not the most computer incline I would buy one of those learn x in 24 hours or some limited time frame. They have alot of pictures and are pretty basic. Great launching point. But really what you have to do is go out to a book store and browse the books. For a beginner I would say any book with lots of pictures is good enough for you. Any book like the "unleashed" series or Que "Using" series might be a bit over your head. SAMS i think is a good publisher for you.
Also there is always the internet for additional resources.

GonePostal
03-06-2004, 11:53 PM
Hrmmmm I have a VB 6 book right here "how to use" series from SAMS really basic.

pusher
03-07-2004, 03:46 PM
Thanks GP. I've tried to avoid progamming like the plague, but now I have to learn this. It doesn't really seem that difficult though. Would it be enough to use the editor on excel or do you think I should buy VB? I can get it for a couple of bucks at the Comp store at school.

Nights
03-07-2004, 07:25 PM
Buy vb, become a full blown nerd..

Actually, to do that you'd need to learn a little more difficult language then vb. Or something really obscure, like COBOL.

GonePostal
03-07-2004, 08:48 PM
How about prolog or scheme :D
Anyways if you want to learn how to program get VB.net or atleast VB 6.0.

If you just want to learn enough to get by then you don't need to buy it.

pusher
03-07-2004, 09:00 PM
Cool thanks for the advice......nerds :bow:

ElPietro
03-08-2004, 08:24 AM
Do you work for a company that could maybe send you on a course? Most of the stuff for excel is just for macros, although it can be pretty powerful if you really learn how to utilize it. I went on two, two day courses a year or two ago, and found it all really useful and applicable, unfortunately, I haven't really spent the time to put it to good use.

If it's just for macros, most of the time you'll just record the macro first, and go through all the steps, and then afterward you can edit the macro to make whatever other adjustments or remove unnecessary stuff that just takes up time.

One thing I've noticed for myself, unless I actually need it, I will forget most of what I learn on these courses anyway. If it's not something you use regularly in your job then I've always found it best to learn it when I need to learn it. That may just be me though.

pusher
03-08-2004, 10:48 AM
I wish I did ElP. Actually i am trying to find a co-op job in finance and I'm not having any luck because it seems they all want a semi developer or at the very least macro writing. Hence my need to learn.