PDA

View Full Version : Fish oil or Flax oil

wleon
03-08-2004, 11:04 PM
Should I be taking both compunds Fish oil and Flax oil ? or just one of them?

is anyone better than the other ?

wleon

galileo
03-09-2004, 06:11 AM
I would take both and for different reasons. Fish oil contains straight EPA/DHA and will fulfill those requirements for you, but flaxseed oil has a great fat profile, which will benefit you overall. People tend to push flaxseed oil because it contains a precursor to epa/dha, but that's not the reason I'd use it.

Jawz928
03-10-2004, 06:28 PM
I would use just flaxseed oil from now on after reading this from one of my college textbooks. It says "The American Heart Association recommends two 3-ounce servings of fatty fish, such as salmon, tuna, and sardines, every week. However, nutritionists do not recommend the use of fish oil supplements, which carry risks of their own: They can increase bleeding time, interfere with wound healing, worsen diabetes, and impair immune function. Since they are made from fish skins and livers, the supplements also may contain environmental contaminents." Thought that was pretty interesting and just to give everyone a heads up.

galileo
03-11-2004, 04:42 PM
Most people know this, but thanks for your concern. In doses of <10g a day, fish oil will not cause any such reactions.