PDA

View Full Version : Is it good to mix milk (casein) with whey ?

wleon
03-09-2004, 10:30 AM
Is it advisable to mix milk and its casein) with whey ?.

Would the slow digestive casein help or hurt the fast absorption of whey...

the bigger question, does it help or hurt - this combination - when bodybuilding ?

wleon

dirtyvest
03-09-2004, 10:36 AM
When rapid absorbtion is important use water, at all other times using milk is fine..... it will slow down absorbtion but other than PWO this isn't a bad thing.

TheGimp
03-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Depends on the situation but I'd say mostly yes. Just about the only time when you want protein that digests as fast as whey (with water) is post workout. Mixing it with milk slows the digestion and makes it suitable for having before bed time and for stretches when eating whole foods will not be possible.

Anthony
03-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Some do, some don't. I don't think it makes much difference. I don't see people using a protein blend getting bigger/stronger any faster than people who use only whey. The overall picture is more important than a minor detail like this.

Scott S
03-09-2004, 11:25 AM
I'd say it's delicious to mix milk with whey.

Shao-LiN
03-09-2004, 11:59 AM
In the grand scheme of things, I don't think you'll notice too much of a difference either way. But most people like to optimize the delivery system as best they can, so if milk has the potential to slow things down, then to be on the safe side, most just use water.

HemiVision
03-09-2004, 12:32 PM
A lot of supplement manufacturers combine casein and whey protein into one powder, claiming it to be the best of both worlds. The whey digests quickly and the casein slowly. If we're to believe them, one doesn't interfere with the other.

Thunderwulf
03-09-2004, 12:57 PM
I've been mixing mine with some 8th continent soy milk.

geoffgarcia
03-09-2004, 01:43 PM
whey and casein come from the same place....

urbanpoet
03-09-2004, 01:49 PM
thats true. Post workout you should only consume a whey with water.

wleon
03-09-2004, 01:53 PM
going in these same line of thought then, it would be advisable to consume whey and milk before the workout.... or the fact that shake is consumed lets say 20 mim before the workout demands a faster absorption for maximum performance ??