PDA

View Full Version : Bulking and other diet info...

jch216
03-09-2004, 06:30 PM
***I'll post my personal stats at the end of this message.***
Hi

I understand that "BULKING" is just eating enough food so that you gain weight. I also understand that I should try to gain between .5 and 1 lbs per week.

What I don't understand is:

I assume I should begin by bulking... What is a good starting point for bulking?

How long/far should I go with bulking?

Is "CUTTING" the exact opposite of bulking? (losing about a pound per week?)

When do I bulk, and when do I cut?

Is it allways either bulk or cut? I thought I saw something about maintaining somewhere.

What is "clean and dirty" bulking?

I see a formula in some other posts that looks like this:
40/40/20 <---what's this? I assume it means a percentage of the food intake, but have't figured it out exactly.

Ok, I think that I could make a good start if I knew the answers to those questions above. Here are my stats and goals:

Male
5'9" tall
159.2 lbs (butt naked) :moon:
13% bodyfat (according to one of those electronic bathroom scales)

I am a karate instructor, and I am learning how to shootfight (kickboxing/grappling)...so I am very active.

My goals are:
#1 to increase in size, #2 increase strength.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

dxiw
03-09-2004, 07:28 PM
you need to first find out how many cals you need to maintain (BMR + Activity) and then to bulk add and to cut subtract. Remember that a pound of fat is 3500 cals, so to lose 1lb of fat a week you need to take in 500 less per day (500x7=3500), the opposite is true with bulking, to gain 1lb a week of muscle go over by 1600/7 (1 pound of muscle is 1600cals) every day..

not to difficult..
the split like 30/40/30 is how much percent from each macronutrient

for example a 30/40/30 is 30% fat 40% carb 30% prot, meaning that say you want to eat 2500 cals a day, 750 cals fat, 1000 cals carbs, 750 cals protein... because fat is 9cal/g while carb and prot are 4cal/g that adds to:
83g fat 250g carb 188g protein for the 30/40/30 on 2500 cals...see its not that confusing..haha

assuming you don't want to/can't calculate bmr+activity good starting guidelines are BWx12 for cutting BWx15 for maintenance and BWx18 for bulk...now you ppl under age 25 have higher metabolisms so their bulk is more like BWx20-25... add any calories from cardio in too...

one last thing - if you want a good point to start, do BWx18 for a week, if you gain less than a pound..bump up 200 cals..then try another week..keep bumping up till reach desired goals..personally i like to gain 2lb a week