PDA

View Full Version : Brown rice and ww pasta = water retention

Junior
03-09-2004, 10:24 PM
Does brown rice and whole wheat pasta cause water retention? I have a photo shoot on Saturday should i sub the brown rice and whole wheat pasta for plain potatoes?

Budiak
03-10-2004, 02:16 AM
What the hell kind of question is this?

I only know of two things that will cause water retention. Sugar and salt. Starchy carbs such as white rice will cause some water retention because they are basically sugars(or are more readily converted or some ****), which cause an imbalance in the body causing it to retain water. Whole wheat pasta and brown rice...I dont see how they'd do that.
If you were to douse the pasta with jarred tomato sauce or coat the rice in soy sauce, you'd have problems.
Plain potatoes will get you into the same situation.

If you have a photoshoot and you're that worried, just eat oats or rough whole wheat bread and low-sodium cold cuts until the shoot is over.

But then again, really limiting your sodium intake wont cut it. Your water intake must be sufficient as well. In fact, I've noticed and have been told that a consistently high sodium intake coupled with an equally high water intake will result in low water storage. So high sodium intake isnt necessarily a recipe for bloat.

I guess your answer is that you're ****ed.

Junior
03-10-2004, 05:22 AM
Sorry for asking mate. It was just something I had overheard so I made the intelligent choice and decided to verify before acting on rumours.

I am not ****ed -- quite the opposite actually, I thought if the above was true it might make sense to drop the WW pasta and brwon rice to make sure i keep tight.... but based on you post I have nothing to worry about and have no need to change anything.

Thanks

ecliptic
03-10-2004, 09:39 AM
Damn Budiak.. no need to sound so angry heh

Budiak
03-10-2004, 09:56 AM
Sorry. I meant to edit out that first sentence but I guess I never got around to it.

Dont let me discourage you from asking questions. I'm kind of blunt sometimes.

If blunt=asshole.

I think sweet potatoes are a better choice than all of the above, anyways. If you're really worried about water retention, plain ass chicken breasts and sweet potatoes. Or oats. Nasty. Oats blow.

urbanpoet
03-10-2004, 10:29 AM
i think theres a competition trick where ppl would consume some sugar or KFC i guess cause its high sodium just before to get their veins going. Should try researching that... search >>> vascularity sugar sodium bodybuildging On yahoo or google

raniali
03-10-2004, 01:31 PM
i would stay away from wheat products myself since i ALWAYS get bloated with them in my diet. sweet potatoes or regular potatoes are good choices. have you thought about keeping a food journal just so you can know what works for YOU and what doesn't?

Junior
03-10-2004, 01:48 PM
I do keep a food journal but I don't maintain a low enough BF% often enough to realize how much of a bloat WW products might cause for me...

ERrr... im usually fat