PDA

View Full Version : How Do I GAIN Weight - Fast?

MBTD77
03-12-2004, 07:26 PM
Hi guys, great forum and hope you can help me.

I just turned 22, Im 6ft tall but only weigh about 150lbs. I eat what I want, whenever I want and never seem to gain weight. My diets not particuarly healthy either - lots of chicken and rice during the weak and the odd steak, but also a lot of junk food.

So I want to start training but I am guessing I need to gain aroun 30-35lbs to get to the right weignht for 6ft right? And then work from there. Just to have a decent build is all I am really after.

So any advice as to how to gain weight - and then what training to do from there - would be much appreciated.

bpd
03-12-2004, 07:40 PM
search the forum for bulking diets and take up one of the WBB routines.

kensterz
03-12-2004, 08:18 PM
You may have a fast metabolism. If it is really fast, in that case we have a problem. Try having multiple replacement nutritionaries.

MBTD77
03-20-2004, 09:02 AM
Thanx, I did a search and from what I can see I need to up volumes drastically? If I give todays intake as an example (which are a little higher than Im used to, upped it a bit this week), Id really appreciate advice as to what I should eat / how much more each day to gain weight fast - the journals etc I found show that it works, but not what I should eat.

Today:

Breakfast: 2 slices of toast with butter, cup of tea with milk and sugar
Lunch: Mexican chicken and white rice - 2 chicken breasts, medium portion of rice
Dinner: Beef Chilli and white rice

Snacks / Crap: I currently drink about 1.5 litres of Dr Pepper a day, 2 35g bags of chips, chocolate and candy in there every day - actually trying to cut back on the sugar now. The one problem I have is I don't eat vegtables, cant stand them, so what can I susbstitute?

Any ideas on foods that will add weight fast appreciated

Anthony
03-20-2004, 09:40 AM
You definitely need to eat more. Your breakfast is horrible. Lunch and dinner look decent, but maybe add some good fats (nuts, peanut butter, flax seed oil, fish oil caps, etc). Basically, use your lunch and dinner meals as examples of what you should be doing for 3-4 other meals (5-6 total). As for veggies, they are full of vitamins/minerals ... maybe try some new ones until you find something you like.

BigDave
03-20-2004, 10:17 AM
If u want to gain weight....u should eat any 3 hours..5 or 6 meals a day

get more food in u,,,for your breakfast!!!!and cut out all that dr pepper,fast food cr#p its kids stuff....start eating veggies,,,i used to hate them but u will get to love them over time!!!

eat
beef,chicken, turkey,tuna,,cottage cheese !!!!
veggies,,,oats, pototoes,pasta!!!

drink milk and water instead of that sugary pop rubbish

BigDave
03-20-2004, 10:18 AM
where in england u from...im from darlington/ north east

kensterz
03-20-2004, 10:34 AM
white chicken breast is good. tuna is good for protein. white bread is good. eggs are very good protein source. I have a big list.

harryhoudini66
03-20-2004, 12:49 PM
2600-2900 Calories
Do not do cardio

40/35/25

TheGimp
03-20-2004, 12:56 PM
Start tracking your intake of calories and macronutrients. I find it's pretty much essential for ensuring you are eating enough.

MBTD77
03-20-2004, 07:16 PM
Thanx guys. Ive done a lot more reading and actually have a rough idea of what I want now. Target weights seem pretty irrelevent at this stage - from what Ive read I need to EAT. I found this posted elswhere by 'Anthony' - does this suit me?

Protein: lean beef, chicken, fish, eggs, beans, cottage cheese, soy, etc.
Carbohydrates: potatoes, rice, pasta, vegetables, breads, cereals, etc.
Fat: flaxseed oil, safflower oil, fish oil, natural peanut butter, nuts, etc.

Pick one from each category and you're good to go. Starting out, I would recommend 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat OR 35/35/30. Don't go extreme in any direction until you get a better understanding of how you react, etc.

Using harryhoudini66s 2900 calories a day suggestion, at 40/40/20 Daily intak, does that mean I can use chicken (Protein), rice (carbs) and peanut butter sandwiches (fat) to gain weight? And it what quantites, as I have no idea!

Thanx for the help, I am a real noob on this

Spartacus
03-20-2004, 07:23 PM
no need to eat that much protein. just eat 1 gram per pound of body weight. then use carbs and fats to get the rest of your diet.

MBTD77
03-20-2004, 07:29 PM
Ok thanks so around 150 grams of chicken a day? I definetly eat more than that at the moment, so it must be carbs and fat Im lacking? Can you give me a grams per lbs figure for fat and carbs too?

I find the calorie thing confusing - as I pointed out, Im addicted to Dr Peper and at 142 calories per 100ml thats 1400 a day? Dont get why Im not fat

Ti1301
03-20-2004, 08:41 PM
Thanx, I did a search and from what I can see I need to up volumes drastically? If I give todays intake as an example (which are a little higher than Im used to, upped it a bit this week), Id really appreciate advice as to what I should eat / how much more each day to gain weight fast - the journals etc I found show that it works, but not what I should eat.

Today:

Breakfast: 2 slices of toast with butter, cup of tea with milk and sugar
Lunch: Mexican chicken and white rice - 2 chicken breasts, medium portion of rice
Dinner: Beef Chilli and white rice

Snacks / Crap: I currently drink about 1.5 litres of Dr Pepper a day, 2 35g bags of chips, chocolate and candy in there every day - actually trying to cut back on the sugar now. The one problem I have is I don't eat vegtables, cant stand them, so what can I susbstitute?

Any ideas on foods that will add weight fast appreciated

You don't eat enough.
You just THINK you eat enough.
And WHY do you drink 1.5 liters of soda?
Drink H2O instead.
If you don't want veggies, then take vitamins.
You don't have a fast metabolism in the sense it is burning ALL your cals.
You just need to eat more. That is a light diet.

_-_v_-_
03-20-2004, 09:13 PM
Ok thanks so around 150 grams of chicken a day? I definetly eat more than that at the moment, so it must be carbs and fat Im lacking? Can you give me a grams per lbs figure for fat and carbs too?

Not 150 g of chicken. 150 g of protein.

150g of chicken would equal, approximately, 35g protein.

MBTD77
03-21-2004, 06:30 AM
You don't eat enough.
You just THINK you eat enough.

Erm, no I don't. I know I don't, I just asked how much more I need to eat.

Not 150 g of chicken. 150 g of protein.

150g of chicken would equal, approximately, 35g protein.

Now its making more sense ;)

Right so I need to eat as much chicken, rice and peanut butter sandwiches as possible - Ill give it a try. Are there any shakes I could use to increase the calorie intake?

J450n
03-21-2004, 10:15 AM
Right so I need to eat as much chicken, rice and peanut butter sandwiches as possible - Ill give it a try. Are there any shakes I could use to increase the calorie intake?

Keep a track of what you're eating i.e calorie wise. It's all to easy to say 'eat everything and loads of it' but you could end up putting on a fair amount of fat along with it, some of which may be inevitable but you can limit it and cut afterwards.

As for shakes - weight gainer shakes (powder) are more likely to put on fat than anything else, what with most requiring you to mix with full fat milk and have 3 a day. You should look into getting a decent protein powder as you gain but at the current weight you are, you'd be better getting the most from eating the right foods and the right amounts as mentioned above. Just my 00.2.

Spartacus
03-21-2004, 01:23 PM
www.fitday.com is a good way to keep track of your intake, so you can see just how many caloreis you're atually eating.