PDA

View Full Version : Why Low Carb Diets Are Bad

Maki Riddington
10-01-2001, 06:01 PM
This was taken from naturalstrength.com.

Zero Carb Diets
To me, anyone on a zero carb diet is just showing his stupidity. What fuel do you think your brain burns? Have you ever heard of the Krebs Cycle? ..Energy Systems...ATP ..or fast twitch (type 2b) muscle fiber? If you believe in zero carbs you obviously have not and have no clue. When you strength train you burn carbohydrates as fuel. Your body can not compensate for poor fuel. If you are out of gas and are inadequately fueled, you are not capable of training hard and are doomed to fail. You can get all the rest and recovery you want, be mentally focused, and eat lots of protein but you will still feel weak and tired if you do not have enough glycogen storage in your muscles and liver. You will not make it through your workout. Complex carbohydrates are essential to your training success : don't be fooled by the quackery.

If you don't believe me, go to a registered dietician for advise. Do not go to a health food store for advise. This is the LAST place you should be asking questions. There you will more than likely find a Greatfull Dead listening, dope smoking high school drop out making minimum wage at the counter. Do not ask him for advise!! Do not read the mega hype muscle mags for advise. Do not go to your gym for advise on nutrition either as they are no better. Do not ask a bodybuilder for advise, do not ask your chiropractor for advise, do not ask your friend for advise, do not ask your bartender for advise, do not ask your personal trainer for advise. See a Registered Dietician. Get it!

Cackerot69
10-01-2001, 06:03 PM
That guy obviously has no clue what he is talking about, what an idiot.

Tryska
10-01-2001, 06:26 PM
hey...i worked at a health food store. And i hate the Grateful Dead.

incidentally, breast milk has very few carbs, but nursing babies don't seem to be retarded.

And I don't think there is a diet out there that advocates zero carbs either.

big calvin
10-01-2001, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Cackerot69

i was thinking the same thing.

the doc
10-01-2001, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Cackerot69

well actually he does... if he's speaking about a weight lifter using an adkins diet for reasons you covered in your excellent article cackerot

But i doubt he can be speaking of a ckd/tkd as they aren't zero carb diets.

Cackerot69
10-01-2001, 07:35 PM
Nobody uses an SKD while training, if they do they deserve the consequences, lol.

The registered dietician part killed me, too.

Maki Riddington
10-01-2001, 07:42 PM
I chuckled when I saw the Dietician part.
Dieticians suck except for Beercan.:angel:

the doc
10-01-2001, 07:50 PM
you should go ask the guy at the local GNC for advice...

heathj
10-01-2001, 08:46 PM
*Looks at Belial.

Maki Riddington
10-01-2001, 08:52 PM
Haha.

syntekz
10-01-2001, 09:08 PM
Not everyone who works at nutrition stores is stupid or doesn't know what they are talking about.

KeepPushing
10-01-2001, 09:15 PM
some are ......

Maki Riddington
10-01-2001, 09:19 PM
most are......

heathj
10-01-2001, 10:04 PM
This lady at my local Vitamin World is like 50. She doesn't know jack. I know more then all of the employees, but I'm not 18, so I can't work there. !!!!! fook 'em all! :mad:

the doc
10-02-2001, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy

sure he does. Nice and slow...ahhh yeah...

:eek:

lmao

Chris Rodgers
10-02-2001, 01:54 PM
LOL

Beercan is the only dietician I know who tells people to eat anything and everything. Hehe

Jane
10-02-2001, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Maki Riddington

If you don't believe me, go to a registered dietician for advise. Do not go to a health food store for advise. This is the LAST place you should be asking questions. There you will more than likely find a Greatfull Dead listening, dope smoking high school drop out making minimum wage at the counter. Do not ask him for advise!! Do not read the mega hype muscle mags for advise. Do not go to your gym for advise on nutrition either as they are no better. Do not ask a bodybuilder for advise, do not ask your chiropractor for advise, do not ask your friend for advise, do not ask your bartender for advise, do not ask your personal trainer for advise.

Hmm...he seems to know a lot about giving advise. Too bad its ADVICE, you idiot.

Dieticians...you mean the same dietician who told me to have 2 tbsp of peanut butter as my protein servings for lunch?

Alex.V
10-02-2001, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by the doc
you should go ask the guy at the local GNC for advice...

*kick*

10-02-2001, 02:44 PM
Fat Customer books an appointment with beercan to lose weight.

Fat Customer: "Hi beercan. How can I lose weight?"

Beercan: "Lose weight???? BULK you Fing lil pansy! Now get out of my store and your $50 bill will be sent in the mail."

Maki Riddington
10-02-2001, 04:54 PM
Haha.

Cackerot69
10-02-2001, 05:12 PM
lmao at Jane with an attitude.

;)

porkchop
10-03-2001, 11:08 PM
Hmm...he seems to know a lot about giving advise. Too bad its ADVICE, you idiot.

actually, in english speaking countries that were former british colonies (including britain itself) spell advice with a "s" instead....organize is spelt "organise", realize is "realise", etc...

Wizard
10-04-2001, 04:46 AM
The article is not so crapy but it doesn't tell us the whole truth.

You need carbohydrates to have an optimal thyroid function.

Ok,but that doesn't mean that we need carbohydrates every day or/and in every meal.Some smart persons were able to discover a way where we could eat carbohydrates and take all the good advantages they can offer us,like optimal thyroid function,muscles building etc. but without the bad results like high insulin levels and thus fat storage etc.

So,at last this article includes a small part of the truth.

Gyno Rhino
10-04-2001, 08:53 AM
I'm an advocate of the 0% fat, 0% protein, 100% carb diet.

body
10-04-2001, 03:15 PM
low cals diets are bad as i like food with carbs in them.

Wizard
10-05-2001, 08:17 AM
Low cal diets are evil.... For many reasons.

pwb69
10-11-2001, 08:50 PM
Who the hell needs info from a registered dietician, the information they learn is so outdated its actually ridiculous. It's the most backward science, nutrition, in terms of what is taught in school. Low fat diets/high carbs are a theory that has never, ever been proven to be beneficial. And all along thousands of years of traditional diets, people eating natural diets high in protein in fat, low in carbs and they always have low incidence of heart disease, diabetes, and fantastic blood profiles. Why can't people use common sense and realize that humans are designed to eat what is NATURAL and readily available in nature, and follow the ways of our ancestors who were much healthier than us, as well as primitve cultures, who btw have life expectancies as great as our w/out modern medicine. Carbs are NOT bad, vegetables and some fruit are incredible for health, but high carb diets were rarely, rarely present in these peoples diets and they thrived regardless. The Krebs Cycle, Anaerobic Glycolysis, etc, the body has ways of fueling the body through protein and fats. Gluconeogenesis forms glucose from fats and proteins, An expert on Metabolism from Harvard, (need to look up the name) recently said the brain PREFERS to run on Ketones and runs more efficiently.

Wizard
10-12-2001, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by pwb69 ]An expert on Metabolism from Harvard, (need to look up the name) recently said the brain PREFERS to run on Ketones and runs more efficiently.

Expert?.... =bollox

D-13
10-19-2001, 07:15 PM
lets say you weigh 150lbs and train 3-4 days [intensly] a week on top of other activities, you'd need 3,000 cals a day with a macro breakdown of about 450g carbs, 150g protein, and about 60-70 g fat.protein is actually really overrated, and carbs are grossly underrated.

KeepPushing
10-19-2001, 07:34 PM
carbs underrated ?

carbs make me fat ............... ur lucky ur only 150 pounds ......

D-13
10-19-2001, 09:31 PM
carbs dont make you fat, lack of activity, undertraining, and an overall shitty diet make you fat. if your trainin HARD, you need at LEAST 2 1/2 carbs per pound of bodyweight, and thats not including athletic endeavors.

Wizard
10-20-2001, 03:13 AM
That's right.Carbs are essential for active people.They should make the ~50-60%of the daily caloric intake.

body
10-20-2001, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by pwb69
"Who the hell needs info from a registered dietician, the information they learn is so outdated its actually ridiculous. It's the most backward science, nutrition, in terms of what is taught in school."
where do you get your information from? The text books, journal articles and studies are all done by dieticians and nutritionalist.

"Low fat diets/high carbs are a theory that has never, ever been proven to be beneficial. And all along thousands of years of traditional diets, people eating natural diets high in protein in fat, low in carbs and they always have low incidence of heart disease, diabetes, and fantastic blood profiles."
less people died of heart attacks as most most died from infectous disease and did not live long enough to die from a heart attack. They were more active also contributing to lower incidence of heart attacks. As more people died young, the strongest people survived, where as today medicine allow to weak to live long enough to get a heart attack.
the smoking epedemic did not start to 1850's esepcailly in women
to late on. this is another reason why people got less of heart attacks.
how do you know the blood profiles from people thousands of years ago. when they had no methods of knowing what blood was like, as they used to recommend people to eat beetroot as it was the same colour as blood.

" Why can't people use common sense and realize that humans are designed to eat what is NATURAL and readily available in nature, "
like grains and shrubs. we ahve lots of enzymes and process to eat meat and carb food as well.

"and follow the ways of our ancestors"
who often ate diets high in carbs. some cultures in the world have diets of only between 5-10% fats

who were much healthier than us, as well as primitve cultures, who btw have life expectancies as great as our w/out modern medicine. Carbs are NOT bad, vegetables and some fruit are incredible for health, but high carb diets were rarely, rarely present in these peoples diets and they thrived regardless. The Krebs Cycle, Anaerobic Glycolysis, etc, the body has ways of fueling the body through protein and fats. Gluconeogenesis forms glucose from fats and proteins, An expert on Metabolism from Harvard, (need to look up the name) recently said the brain PREFERS to run on Ketones and runs more efficiently.

chris mason
10-20-2001, 04:27 AM
Like I tried to tell Maki before he dabbled into the CKD diet, carbs are not evil. Carbs are actually a very beneficial nutrient, and any of you who believe they will make a healthy individual fat if they are not consumed in excess of caloric need are misinformed.

Wizard
10-20-2001, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by chris mason
if they are not consumed in excess of caloric need.

That's the key.

the doc
10-20-2001, 06:46 AM
i certainly dont believe carbs are evil
They are inherently necessary for wieght training

however, one does not need to have them as the centerpiece of your diet
I prefer to take them cycling moderate/low daily intake
The bloat in my gut from high carb diets was just to much for me
Now that i've restricted (but not eliminated) their levels, My gut is much more flat
my meals consist primarily of protein with some fat and a few carbs. When i do consume a starchy meal, it seems to regenerate glycogen stores quite effectively.
for instance, i can have a starchy meal 2 or 4 nights before a workout and still have plenty of gas for a good workout.