PDA

View Full Version : Importance of fruit and vegetables

Dedicated
03-19-2004, 11:55 PM
How important is it to eat fruit and vegetables, and is there any benefit to eating them during a cut specifically? What fruits/vegetables would you consider the best? Even though I take vitamins would I still benefit from fruits/vegetables?

So far, from what I have gathered, a diet should be high in protein, have some carbs, and plenty of fats, fish oil, peanut butter etc, but I hear nothing of fruits and vegetables really.

Spartacus
03-20-2004, 12:44 AM
they are important. probably more important on a cut, sine they are good to fill up on when cutting without getting too many calories.

just eat a variety.

yes

fruit & vegetable are often considered as carbs sources along with grains & beans. you should get a variety of these sources.

Saint Patrick
03-20-2004, 01:57 AM
I tend to shy away from fruit when cutting, because of the fructose content.

TheGimp
03-20-2004, 02:25 AM
Like Spartacus has said veggies are good for filling you up with negligible calories. Green leafy ones are also reasonable sources of protein so I'd say Broccoli is one of the best choices.

Fructose gets a bit of a bad rep because it preferentially refills liver glycogen rather than muscle, however bear in mind that this is one of the body's primary determining factors as to whether its in an anabolic/catabolic state.

Holto
03-20-2004, 12:02 PM
if you don't regularly eat raw fruits & vegetables you're missign an entire category of nutrients: phytonutrients

these are not vitamins or minerals

it is estimated that there are 100,000 of them in nature and science has only named about 500 of them

it's so easy to get...

1 salad a day (3 cups is 6 servings)

1 fruit smoothie (2-5 servings depending on bodymass)