PDA

View Full Version : Raw eggs

devilman
03-20-2004, 02:14 PM
Curious to know how many of you eat raw eggs. I know with all the hype of salminella poisoning, but I was reading Arnolds Bodybuilding Encyclopedia and in his nutrition section he has a few protien shake recipes that involve raw eggs. :drooling:

Jasonl
03-20-2004, 04:19 PM
Raw eggs are too gross to eat, I tried when I first started out and didn't know much. If i recall, only about 30% of the protien in a raw egg is digestible, while upwards of 90% is digestible in a cooked egg.

TheGimp
03-20-2004, 04:50 PM
Yes, health issues aside you vastly increase the available protein by cooking the egg.

Raven21
03-21-2004, 06:38 PM
where did u find the arnolds encycolpedia ? Online?

ryuage
03-21-2004, 07:12 PM
probably at a book store.

RickTheDestroyer
03-22-2004, 08:11 AM
It's my understanding that salmonella poisoning (from eggs) has ONLY happened in restaurants... i.e. no one has ever gotten it at home.
However, eggs should be at least a little cooked, because raw egg protein is not as digestible, and also there's something in raw eggs that inhibits the absorption of biotin.

AllUp
03-22-2004, 11:02 AM
Dude, Just cook em. Raw eggs is teh nasty. :\

raniali
03-22-2004, 12:14 PM
salmonella aside -- the protein, avidin, in the egg white needs to be denatured through cooking. otherwise, it will irreversibly bind with biotin (a very important b vitamin) and that is not good. egg yolks can (and some think should) be eaten raw.

restless
03-22-2004, 12:18 PM
salmonella aside -- the protein, avidin, in the egg white needs to be denatured through cooking. otherwise, it will irreversibly bind with biotin (a very important b vitamin) and that is not good. egg yolks can (and some think should) be eaten raw.

Actually, the egg yolk is a very rich source of biotin, I think it's even one of the richest foods in it. Eating raw egg whites could possibly lead to biotin deficiency though.

I have always ate almost raw eggs for breakfast since I was a kid. I never had any health problems. Today I still eat them only slightly boiled.

Ebu
03-22-2004, 12:40 PM
Has anyone mentioned denaturing the protein makes it more digestable? Haha, just kidding, but yeah, cook em, because you can digest them more efficiently, and, you will lessen chances for poisining: 2 pros. The only pro i see with raw eggs is preparing them is really easy and fast.

Shao-LiN
03-22-2004, 12:44 PM
I'd become nauscious and the raw egg that went down my throat would come back out, thus negating everything anyway =P.

RickTheDestroyer
03-22-2004, 03:35 PM
I used to throw some in my shakes from time to time (I live in a dorm so cooking them is a big pain in the nuts), and it was actually pretty tasty. Sort of like raw cake batter...

devilman
03-22-2004, 03:48 PM
where did u find the arnolds encycolpedia ? Online?

I bought it at a book store

garhi
04-16-2004, 05:27 PM
I started eating raw eggs because of Joseph Mercola's information on them which is here (at bottom). I never ate them before because I find the taste and smell of cooked eggs to be totally disgusting. Eating them raw is actually quite ok on the other hand! I eat 2-4 per day usually, and now I am getting more into weights I would like to eat even more. I have NEVER gotten sick from them. I urge anyone who wants the truth about raw eggs (rather than the BS that is posted in this thread) to read the article below. It will tell you such things as:
- only 1 in 30,000 eggs contains salmonella -- you should be way more afraid of that chicken you're eating right now!
- raw eggs contain a perfectly bioavailable protein that does NOT need to be "denatured" by cooking -- cooking eggs makes the cholesterol problematic to the body, and makes the protein way LESS available.
- the biotin-binding properties of egg white are more than made up for by the yolk - 1 of nature's richest source of biotin.
in summary -- eat your eggs -- RAW! I couldn't eat them any other way personally...but don't be afraid. buy ORGANIC ONES though. and fresh. when you are used to eating them fresh/raw, you will be able to tell right away if the egg is "good" or not believe me! Get your nutritional info from real experiments on real humans (ie yourself) not textbooks! Just say KnoW!

http://www.mercola.com/2002/nov/13/eggs.htm