View Full Version : Mmm Chicken!!
03-21-2004, 02:45 AM
Today i decided to incresase my daily protien intake and bought a whole chicken. Now the problem is that i can't decide how to cook it. Any ideas?and skip the deep fried receipes please :read:
03-21-2004, 07:23 AM
If you bought a whole chicken try a crockpot I hear those are good or one of them rotisi majiggers you've probably seen on tv :)
03-21-2004, 07:27 AM
I don't have one, and don't intend to buy one either in the near future (bloody financial restraints), but yeah i got one off my mom. Marinate the chicken pieces with garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, some olive/sunflower oil and bake it in the oven. Gonna give it a shot tommorrow :)
03-22-2004, 12:50 PM
Chicken Caccetori (don't know if that's spelled right). I fix it all the time. Here's how:
- Cut the chicken into eights (let me know if you need to know how to bone a chicken and I'll post).
- Put a 1/4 cup of flower in a dish. Season with some good cajun spices.
- In a large pot, put a few table spoons of Olive Oil in the bottom (just enough for a thin coat at the bottom).
- Once the oil is pretty hot, brown each piece of chicken for 3 minutes a side.
- After golden brown, remove from the pot and set asside.
- Toss in a cup of onions and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Toss in a cup of good mushrooms (****akes work good), season with salt and pepper, and saute for an additional 3 minutes.
- Put in a cup of fresh diced tomatos
- Add two bay leaves, a pinch of oregano, a pinch of thyme, and a pinch of crushed red pepper to taste (I like it hot).
- Put in a cup of Chicken broth (low sodium)
- Put in a cup of wine (Red or white... wine that you'd drink, not cooking wine) - OPTIONAL
- Put the chicken back in the pot.
- Add more chicken broth or water to cover the chicken.
- Let stew for about 1 hour.
Boil up some WW pasta, spoon up a couple peices of chicken and sauce over the pasta. Sprinkle with parmasean if you like.
03-22-2004, 01:12 PM
I think the best way to make use of a whole chicken is to oven roast it. Why? Wel I am glad that you asked. It makes for a perfect week of food. The first day you eat the roasted chicken. Any leftovers can go into a chicken salad or even your morning omelettes.
Here's what you do, find yourself a good size pan with at least a three inch lip on it. Wash your chicken and make sure you take out the giblets bag in the cavity of the chicken. Rub the whole chicken down with a little butter or oil ( don't freak out most of us never eat the skin and this will just add to the flavor). Then load it down with your favorite herbs and spices...I am a big fan of rosemary, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cook it in a moderate oven covered with foil at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes per pound. Take the foil off for the last 15 minutes or so to allow the chicken to brown and crisp up JUST IN CASE you want to indulge with a little of the skin
03-23-2004, 02:07 AM
Gee thanks guys, but devhuman i would really want to know hot to bone a chicken, if i come up with any new receipes i'll post them here. Cheers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.