PDA

View Full Version : Any way to increase appetite?

parlayin
03-21-2004, 03:08 AM
I'm currently taking meds for a disorder I have, but one of the side effects is that it suppresses my appetite to the point where I don't even feel like eating all day. Even with food in front of me, I have to force myself to take each bite. Is there any way I can improve my appetite? Even before I was on these meds, I was underweight. Now I'm worried about starving to death.

furrukh
03-21-2004, 03:57 AM
Mate if it was something which was not interlinked to medicine then there are many supplements to take in, but like you mentioned that the supression in your appetite is caused my drugs, then i would personally go to my doctor and take an opinion. As far as starving to death is concerned dun worry about that, but yes you could lose weight/muscle and face weakness. Hope i was of some assistance and you feel better.

DavidyourDuke
03-21-2004, 06:18 AM
I have a okay appetite, but even right now I'm going force myself to eat a hot pocket since I'm on a bulk and I need the nutrition (at least 4000 cals a day). If you have to take this medicine, at least push yourself to eat at your maintinence level.

TheGimp
03-21-2004, 07:10 AM
Agreed, talk to your doc first.

I've read that peppermint tea is good for stimulating appetite (due to the presence of menthol).

ryuage
03-21-2004, 07:17 AM
i heard vitamin b complex such as b6 and b12 seem to have an increased appetite effect on some ppl?

NateWheeler
03-21-2004, 10:59 AM
Definitely do see your doctor. If it was up to me I would say become more active, whatever it may be, because the more active you are, the hungrier you'll get, or at least thats how it is for me and everyone else I know.

More active = burn more calories; burn more calories = intake more calories (hunger) , right?

derK
03-21-2004, 11:00 AM
there is a green plant that allows you to intake food like no other. However it is illegal in most places and it lowers your testosterone levels. Makes you pretty sleepy too :)

NateWheeler
03-21-2004, 11:01 AM
there is a green plant that allows you to intake food like no other. However it is illegal in most places and it lowers your testosterone levels. Makes you pretty sleepy too :)

LOL!

TheGimp
03-21-2004, 11:16 AM
More active = burn more calories; burn more calories = intake more calories (hunger) , right?

Actually one of the great things about exercise over simply dieting is that the extra calories burnt should exceed any extra calories from increased appetite.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=14692601

Concerning the impact of physical activity on energy balance, there exists a belief that physical activity drives up hunger and increases food intake, thereby rendering it futile as a method of weight control. There is, however, no evidence for such an immediate or automatic effect.

However, subsequently food intake begins to increase in order to provide compensation for about 30% of the energy expended in activity. This compensation (up to 16 d) is partial and incomplete.

JTyrell710
03-21-2004, 06:56 PM

does it really lower test levels- i heard that it actually doesnt and thats just bs

ADD, its a pain in the ass- exercising while i was on meds didnt make me hungrier, it made me weaker- my only solution was to decrease the dosage, or to not take it entirely. See if you can get a different form of the drug- some forms don't have appetite reduction for some people, or just lower the dosage of the current one.

Scott S
03-22-2004, 12:11 AM
there is a green plant that allows you to intake food like no other. However it is illegal in most places and it lowers your testosterone levels.

Good news! This effect has never been shown in humans. And the lone chimp study that showed lower test levels was very poorly done.

Spartacus
03-22-2004, 12:14 AM
and since its for a medical reason, maybe you could get a script for it if youre in cali

Saint Patrick
03-22-2004, 02:01 AM
there is a green plant that allows you to intake food like no other.

:smoke:

NateWheeler
03-22-2004, 05:48 PM
Yes, lets make this leafy green plant legal and label it as some new type of "bulking" drug, or a plant that "increases your appetite" , lol...

Though technically I dont think if you eat weed, you would get the munchies. I Believe (im not completey sure on this) that you only get the munchies because when you smoke it, the smoke gets rid of the mucus lining in your stomach, causing you to wanna fill it, thus eating more food.

Anyone know if thats true? Im just curious..

Khar
03-22-2004, 07:21 PM
Yes, lets make this leafy green plant legal and label it as some new type of "bulking" drug, or a plant that "increases your appetite" , lol...

Though technically I dont think if you eat weed, you would get the munchies. I Believe (im not completey sure on this) that you only get the munchies because when you smoke it, the smoke gets rid of the mucus lining in your stomach, causing you to wanna fill it, thus eating more food.

Anyone know if thats true? Im just curious..

Nope nate, the reason is because when the pot is burned it causes a chemical reaction allowing the chemicals to be inhaled and that is what causes the increased appetite. That is a very basic explanation. I don't remember which chemical it is in the pot that does that either. I know that it isn't the THC though.

EDIT: If you heat up the pot to a certain temperature the same chemical reaction will occur. It doesn't have to be lit.

JTyrell710
03-22-2004, 08:56 PM
the hunger is from thc and cannabanoids doing their thang

CraigVA286
03-22-2004, 09:21 PM
Good news! This effect has never been shown in humans. And the lone chimp study that showed lower test levels was very poorly done.

Correct...that study was also debunked by numerous other studies that have come out.

And if you dont like smoking, you can always cook it , THC is fat soluble.

Oh, and let me tell you, its the best hunger increasing supplement in the world ;) :smoke:

Paladyr
03-23-2004, 09:23 AM
Caffeine increases appettite. Probably not the best thing to be taking in, but it works.

Paul Stagg
03-23-2004, 09:49 AM
A little bulking trick I learned.

Eat a pound of pasta a day.

Eating large amounts of pasta made me hungry as all get out. Lots of calories, too.

Watch the caloric intake, though.

Khar
03-23-2004, 10:25 AM
Paul, why did eating large amounts of pasta in particular make you hungry?

Paul Stagg
03-23-2004, 10:27 AM
It just did. An old bud suggested it as a bulking trick. I'm sure a lot of it was the insulin response - the same reason low fat/high carb diets make you hungry.