PDA

View Full Version : Help with eating plan

Jezmason
03-21-2004, 10:27 AM
Right, i've just started building seriously(as u all know seein' as i've been plaguing the board's with post's) and i've guessed that i should be bulking to put on the serious muscle. Now, with bulking do you take mostly carb's, mostly protein or both? I've just had a bowl o porrigde(which was the most sickly thing i've ever eaten!) and it sucked. I've been eatin a lot o protein over the past few day's. Wot are the exact required calorie, protein and carb allowances for bulking(i'm 6ft 2iches)? And could u direct me 2 some decent recipe's?

TheGimp
03-21-2004, 10:59 AM
There are no exact calorie/protein/carb/fat values. There are too many factors to take into account like body composition, activity levels and metabolism. Come up with a meal plan of a certain number of calories, eat that for a week and if you fail to gain increase calories by 500 per week until you do.

As for the amount of each macronutrient, this should not really matter provided you get at least 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight and sufficient fats to get your essential fatty acids and not mess up your hormones. Aim for at least 15-20% of total calories from fat for this.

Jezmason
03-21-2004, 12:09 PM
So can i therefore go on a protein only diet to build muscle and lose fat(with regular cardio) at the same time as long as i get the right amount of protein? Coz if i bulk and put on more weight i'm gonna look really fat, i already weigh near 16 stone(although it's quite firm) with little muscle.

The Celt
03-21-2004, 02:54 PM
So can i therefore go on a protein only diet to build muscle and lose fat(with regular cardio) at the same time as long as i get the right amount of protein? Coz if i bulk and put on more weight i'm gonna look really fat, i already weigh near 16 stone(although it's quite firm) with little muscle.

No.

If you're trying to bulk up, it is damn near impossible to consume enough calories from protein alone to achieve your goals. The human body needs carbs. Carbs are the main fuel your body uses as energy throughout the day, not to mention all the other various roles they play in the human body. Without carbs, the body would not be able to store protein in muscle cells... and that means your muscles would not get bigger...

When you're bulking, try to get about 40% of your calories from carbs, 30% from protein, 30% from healthy fats (fish oil, flax oil, nuts, natural fats in beef and fish). You don't have to have everything counted out perfect so just use this as a guideline. Just know that carbs and protein have 4 calories per gram and fats have 9 calories per gram.

So, if you need 3000 calories to bulk up, your diet should look like this:

1200 calories from carbs (40%) - 300 grams
900 calories from protein (30%) - 225 grams
900 calories from good fats (30%) - 100 grams

I think my math is right... it should be... I took Algebra I enough times... :angel:

Anyway, there you go. If you have anymore questions, please IM me on Yahoo Messenger.

TheGimp
03-21-2004, 03:08 PM
The human body needs carbs.

This is simply incorrect.

Carbohydrates are the only non-essential macronutrient.

As I stated in my post, no a protein only diet is unacceptable, fat is required for proper hormone production. Blood concentrations of testosterone, for example, can be increased by higher intakes of saturated and monounsaturated fat. Diets with less than 10% fat are detrimental to testosterone levels.

Furthermore there are essential fatty acids. These are involved in a multitude of processes required for a healthy existence. Get them from fish and/or flax oil.

All in all however, a balanced diet is generally the way to go. A split of 40/30/30 (that's protein/carbs/fat) is good to aim for. However 30/40/30 would be equally acceptable - experiment and find what works for you.

Spartacus
03-21-2004, 03:49 PM
the human body needs carbs to be anabolic.

also, you can still get fat on a all-protein diet, and still get fat. its a bout calories invs calories out.

also, there is no reason to eat more protein than 1g/lbs of bodyweight. anything more than that just gets converted to glucose. carbs are cheaper to buy, and you can get a larger variet of taste with them, and they ahve other benefits like nutrients and ph level etc.

The Celt
03-21-2004, 05:34 PM
also, there is no reason to eat more protein than 1g/lbs of bodyweight. anything more than that just gets converted to glucose

That's what I meant to say...

DOH!

The Celt
03-21-2004, 05:58 PM
Carbohydrates are the only non-essential macronutrient.

Could I see a reference, please?

Not being a smart ass, this definitely intrigues me.

:cool:

TheGimp
03-22-2004, 02:59 AM
http://www.fcs.okstate.edu/food/nutrition/issues/fad-diets/prot_carb-cont.htm

http://www.bullz-eye.com/furci/2001/072702.htm

http://www.thebeef.info/carbs.html

None are particularly good links; I couldn't find the site where I initially came across the idea. To clairfy, I was just making the point that in principle carbohydrates are not required by the body. However I don't think you'd get very far at putting on muscle without them.

prof
03-22-2004, 03:50 AM
oi doncaster bloke

go and read all the diet and nutrition articles on the main site that will help loads

furrukh
03-22-2004, 06:38 AM
Well professor and Gimp, you guys are being asked the same question over and over again ( i bombarded you with the same thing, hahahaha) but i guess i am kinda ready to give some advice to this "doncaster dude". Jezmason try to eat 5-6 meals per day and make sure to eat a combo of carbs, protiens and healthy fats in each meal. I do the following

Protiens: Chicken breasts, turkey breasts, milk, eggs, tofu, cottage cheese(gimp's idea)
Carbs: Oatmeal,whoelmeal bread, red kidney beans
Healthy fats: Nuts,flaxseed oil, olive oil, natty PB (natural peanut butter)

Once you've made your extensive grocery list join http://www.fitday.com and there you can add your daily food intake and it will calculate the % of protiens/carbs/fats which you take, i atleast try for 40/30/30. Work hard in the gym and good luck mate. Cheers