PDA

View Full Version : How do you put a bench shirt on?

dxiw
03-22-2004, 12:24 AM
I finally got my order from monster muscle. All excited, I run to open the box and pull out the bench shirt. Problem is, I've been trying for 20 minutes to get this thing on and I can't..its friggin tiny.. I've never seen / felt a bench shirt before so I don't know if its too small or if I don't know how to put it on or what... help!!

Saint Patrick
03-22-2004, 01:42 AM
Get someone to help you put it on.

Make sure they're around to help you take it off, too. Otherwise you'll be screwed.

phreak
03-22-2004, 03:06 AM
If you can put it on by yourself it's too big. So yours should be the right size. Example: a 114-pounder I trained with could wear my bench shirt like a normal t-shirt. But I was 275 at the time. :)

Tip for putting it on: roll it up. This will give your assistant better grip for pulling it down and also reduces friction. So when rolled up get it over the head and past the armpits. Then have it pulled in position, and unroll over the torso.

kensterz
03-22-2004, 05:07 AM
May I ask what exactly is the point of this shirt? What's wrong with benching in a normal short sleeve

phreak
03-22-2004, 06:14 AM
May I ask what exactly is the point of this shirt? What's wrong with benching in a normal short sleeve
You can lift a lot more weight. And it protects the shoulders, but that's just an added bonus.

Future
03-22-2004, 07:45 AM
They are merely a cheat. But everyone used them.

Theosisten
03-31-2004, 11:18 PM
How much do these shirts cost? Like is it worth it? Would you get better gains or is it merely an ego thing?

phreak
04-01-2004, 01:08 AM
Mostly an ego/competition thing.

Seanzilla
04-01-2004, 12:47 PM
They are merely a cheat. But everyone used them.

Aren't you wearing an Inzer t-shirt in your photo?

-Seanzilla

Seanzilla
04-01-2004, 12:56 PM
You'll need at least one other person to assist you with putting on your bench shirt. Do not try and wear another shirt/tank top underneath your bench shirt. Start by putting your arms straight out in front of you (like Frankenstein) and have your training partner work the sleeves up your arms until they're above your elbows and not too bunched up. Then, have your training partner stand behind you, grip the back of the collar (reaching over your shoulders) and then help you get your head thru the opening (be careful that your nose doesn't get caught on the front of the collar.) Once you've gotten your head thru, start working the shirt down by pulling from the top (first, work the shoulders down, then pull from under the armpits and then start working out the wrinkles in the chest and on the sides and back.) When your shirt is on and wrinkle/gap free, you'll be ready to bench. If the shirt fits really tight (it should), rotate your shoulders around while your training partner pulls down on the shirt. Another trick is to have your training partner put their elbow in the bottom of the shirt and push down while you lean on their shoulders (so you don't get pulled over.) For your first few lifts, only take the bar down about half way and let the shirt pop and settle. Also, let the weight take the bar down, but keep your muscles tight. You may need to pull to get the bar down the last inch or so, but probably not. Have your spotter watch you closely while you learn the groove of the shirt, because the "pressure bubble" of the shirt will tend to make the bar go either down to your belly or up to your neck. Bring the bar into the pressure bubble, so that you get the most support and rebound outta your shirt.

Keep Lifting,
Seanzilla
Monster Muscle Magazine

DontGiveUp
04-03-2004, 04:13 PM
Someone will have to help you.

Have the person stand behind you while you sit on the bench. First put your arms thought the arm holes. Your helper will inch them up as far as possible until you have to put your head in through the shirt. Once the head is in, the shirt will be bunched up around your shoulders. Your partner will pull the bottom of the shirt down as much as possible. The shirt will still be some-what bunched up. Your partner will pull down in the front of the shirt and on the sides. Next, lift one of your arms back and up. Your partner will grab the fabric behind the shoulder and pull down, while you punch across your body. Repeat with other arm. Next, he will pull down the front, back and sides again. You should be about ready.

You may want to put baby poweder around your shoulders, underarm triceps, biceps, chest and upper back. This will help slide the shirt on.

thanky0ujesus
04-03-2004, 04:19 PM
how much can it add to your bench?

WillKuenzel
04-03-2004, 04:48 PM
how much can it add to your bench?Its purely dependent on the person, how much they train with it, they're other training methods, and so on.

A bench shirt isn't something that the normal person will need. Unless you have plans on competeting, there really is no need for one as they will not make you any stronger, and can, if not used properly, make you weaker in certain portions of the lift.

If you are not competeting then its only for an ego trip, IMHO.

biggimp
04-03-2004, 09:40 PM
i have a question or two; what is the difference between a $50 bench shirt and a $200 bench shirt? like 5-10 pounds or what? and also, more importantly, do they ever wear out and become loose and less springy, if you know what i mean?

phreak
04-04-2004, 05:42 AM
i have a question or two; what is the difference between a $50 bench shirt and a $200 bench shirt? like 5-10 pounds or what? and also, more importantly, do they ever wear out and become loose and less springy, if you know what i mean?
The difference can be enormous -- provided both are used properly. And each type requires a different technique and different training methods. Also there is a big difference between shirts even if they are the same type/material. An Inzer EHPHD is nothing compared to a Titan Fury (so I've been told; haven't used a Fury yet).
I personally got some 50 Lbs out of an Inzer. Some people I know who are as strong as I was, now get 130-140 out of a Titan (which is extreme, but possible). Seeing as a double-ply would yield even greater results, the potential is enormous. Just remember you're not actually getting any stronger. You're just lifting more weight. So outside of competition you don't need them.

DontGiveUp
04-04-2004, 10:57 AM
With the poly's, the material is the limiting factor. The phenom will withstands a lot more strain than their ceaper shirts so you can get a tighter shirt with the phenom. If you get an hphd or an ehphd, you can't get as tight a shirt as it will blow out. The poly's are also better for the leaner lifters as they are a little streatchy and give support through a larger range of the lift.

The denims have almost no streatch to them at all. This would be a better shirt for a bigger guy with a higher bf% because the shirt will be squeezing on his fat and muscle. I've tried a denim that fit me perfectly and it only gives support at the very bottom(I'm 217 with approximately 15%bf). The poly was the better shirt for me. Even though the denim gave me MUCH more support at the very bottom, the poly gave me GOOD support through a lager range of the lift. I hope this makes sense.