PDA

View Full Version : Refeed Questions?

Mic Soloist
03-23-2004, 12:50 AM
Been reading up on refeeds. I see that I need to go heavy on the simple carbs and also take in some starchy carbs at night. Would it be alright to just go balls out and not really moniter the exact amount I took in on a refeed day? I know I would get my daily protein intake, but if I wasn't sure about the carbs or fat or total calories would that be alright as long as I knew it was over my maintaining cals.

Also, is there anything else I need to know about refeeds?

Saint Patrick
03-23-2004, 12:58 AM
The best foods for refeeds are sugary crap carbs, like kids cereals.

Total cals should be 1.5-2x maintenance cals

so if your maintenance cals is 2500, then your refeed day should be 3750-5000 cals. It doesn't need to be exact. Keep fat as low as possible, get some protein, and enjoy.

BTW some ALA sould be a good idea on refeed days too

Mic Soloist
03-23-2004, 01:01 AM
The best foods for refeeds are sugary crap carbs, like kids cereals.

Total cals should be 1.5-2x maintenance cals

so if your maintenance cals is 2500, then your refeed day should be 3750-5000 cals. It doesn't need to be exact. Keep fat as low as possible, get some protein, and enjoy.

BTW some ALA sould be a good idea on refeed days too

It's late and I'm slow.... what is ALA?

Shao-LiN
03-23-2004, 01:04 AM
Alpha Lipoic Acid...can run a search on it for info.

Saint Patrick
03-23-2004, 01:05 AM
Alpha-Lipoic Acid, or r-ALA

http://www.1fast400.com/?cPath=44

Raynor
03-23-2004, 02:17 AM
I've been reading about refeeds as well and have set up al plan for myself. I'll also start with simple carbs and take complex carbs later on and keep fat as low as possible. There just 1 thing that isn't clear to me and that is what simple carbs te eat? Can I go for dextrose? chocolate chip cookies? bananas? Frosties? Ofcourse without going overboard

What are your favorite things/recipies for a fullfilling refeed, other advize is welcome as well

Shao-LiN
03-23-2004, 03:30 AM
There just 1 thing that isn't clear to me and that is what simple carbs te eat? Can I go for dextrose? chocolate chip cookies? bananas? Frosties?

Yes.

Raynor
03-23-2004, 06:14 AM
Yes.Ok, sweet! I'll enjoy taking a dieeting break and eat some good stuff to kick off the refeed. I used to have a cheatday but I hardly felt better the day after, still kinda tired, cause I thought that eating al lot one that would power me up again, I was wrong. That's why I like the concept of a refeed so much and if it allows to eat frosties instead of oatmeal all the better :)

If anybody wants to share their refeed experiences/advice don't be shy :)

raniali
03-23-2004, 11:59 AM
i would minimize the choco cookies and frosties because of the inherent fat content of such items. but it is your refeed, so do what you need to do to maintain your sanity.
i think it is important to journal what you are eating in general on a refeed and how you subsequently feel afterwards. if my refeed went over 36 hours, i would undoubtedly feel severely bloated and extremely fatigued. certain foods would also make me feel less than ideal (esp wheat-based products like bagels and whatnot).

ALA is a good supplement for refeeds. it will help your body refill muscle glycogen better during high carb periods.

Raynor
03-23-2004, 12:40 PM
i would minimize the choco cookies and frosties because of the inherent fat content of such items. but it is your refeed, so do what you need to do to maintain your sanity.
i think it is important to journal what you are eating in general on a refeed and how you subsequently feel afterwards. if my refeed went over 36 hours, i would undoubtedly feel severely bloated and extremely fatigued. certain foods would also make me feel less than ideal (esp wheat-based products like bagels and whatnot).

ALA is a good supplement for refeeds. it will help your body refill muscle glycogen better during high carb periods.I've decided that I want to enjoy the refeed but try to keep it as clean as possible, besides, anything with carbs is going to taste good :) Ofcourse eating chocolate etc is nice but I'd rather eat some stuff that's better for the cutting proces

I'll have my refeed on sunday, start with dextrose, go over to noodles and bagels and end the day with rice, sounds like a plan?

I'll write down what I eat and when and how it affects me and see what can be improved

Mic Soloist
03-23-2004, 08:40 PM
If I do a refeed would something like 10 servings of kids cereal along with some type of brownie or muffin, pancakes, pasta, rice, and form of protein be alright. I can go pick up the kids cereal whenever.

Jasonl
03-23-2004, 08:56 PM
http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/articles/article18.htm
Here is some more info on refeeds. Most of which has already been stated, though.

Saint Patrick
03-23-2004, 09:52 PM
Yeah try to keep fat intake as low as possible.

Raynor
03-24-2004, 07:50 AM
When I get my bf under 10% I'll have a refeed 2x a week, after a heavy workout. How should I do this? Should I take my dextrose+whey post workout shake right after the workout and start the refeed a hour later? Or wait a few hours after the workout for better glycogeen deplition and then start eating?

galileo
03-24-2004, 09:17 AM
Purposes:
1. Refill depleted muscle glycogen.
2. Spillover *slightly* into fat cells to trigger leptin.

If you eat nothing but sugary kids cereals you're going to get way too much spillover and you could end up adding fat (since you'll be over maintenance).

Fructose should be limited to ~50g or sucrose of 100g. Your liver can hold about 75g, so shooting slightly below that will help.

So, glucose based polymers are best used for refeeding, with a little sucrose/fructose. Bagels, pasta, dextrose/maltodextrin, and a little milk would be a good example.

As a note to the ministry of fitness page, they indicate that jelly beans are good, but in my experience I've found most jelly beans to be made up of high fructose corn syrup, which is good to avoid.

Jasonl
03-24-2004, 05:23 PM
Smarties candies have dex in them, they are tasty too.

Shao-LiN
03-24-2004, 11:40 PM
I would limit the amount of fructose/sucrose you consume during a refeed. Refeeds aren't really an excuse to binge and eat uncontrolled. Refeeds are still meant to be controlled, so you still need to determine an adequate amount of carbs and adhere to it. Start the day with low GI carbs and progress to more grainy/starchy carbs by the end of the day.

And yes, you will also want to keep fat intake low during the refeed day. It doesn't mean you need to completely strike it from the day, but you need to be counting that as well so you don't go overboard.

Raynor
03-25-2004, 10:02 AM
When I get my bf under 10% I'll have a refeed 2x a week, after a heavy workout. How should I do this? Should I take my dextrose+whey post workout shake right after the workout and start the refeed a hour later? Or wait a few hours after the workout for better glycogeen deplition and then start eating?

Anybody? :cry:

raniali
03-25-2004, 11:57 AM
a refeed should be scheduled to begin after a workout because you should be fully glycogen depleted by then. consume a normal post w/o shake (protein and carbs) and begin carb loading. if you are doing this 2x a week, your carb load should probably be shorter than you would do for once a week. i mean, you don't want a 2day carb load every 3 days.

does that help?

Raynor
03-25-2004, 12:39 PM
does that help?It does indeed, thx!

bdd814
06-07-2006, 06:24 PM
http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/articles/article18.htm
Here is some more info on refeeds. Most of which has already been stated, though.
Great article--Thank you