PDA

View Full Version : Low Carb Bulk

Y2A
03-23-2004, 08:27 AM
Can you bulk on a low carb diet, provided you get enough calories? Is it a good way to bulk without putting on much fat? Is it less than ideal?

TheGimp
03-23-2004, 08:34 AM
I think on a strictly low carb diet putting on muscle would be very difficult. A cyclical diet with carb loads might work however. Check out UD2.0, it's supposed to be possible to use it for putting on weight.

shootermcgavin7
03-23-2004, 10:08 AM
Can you bulk on a low carb diet, provided you get enough calories? Is it a good way to bulk without putting on much fat? Is it less than ideal?

I use a CKD for cutting, I think I would kill myself if I couldn't eat carbs on a bulk as well.

raniali
03-23-2004, 12:02 PM
i am sure it's possible. but i think it would be extremely difficult. your training volume would have to decrease because you would be more prone to damage on low carbs. you would likely also not have the energy necessary to do some serious pyscho training ideal for muscle growth. that's just my oopinion, though.

Y2A
03-23-2004, 12:12 PM
Thanks. How about only having carbs pre & post workout?

raniali
03-23-2004, 12:49 PM
that's called a TKD and i think it is probably a much better option for trying to bulk on a low carb approach. i would be interested how this works for you -- let us know.

Spartacus
03-23-2004, 01:04 PM
i do not think it would be the best way to bulk: not as much muscle gain, and just as much pronesses to fat gain. and calories in out will control fat gain on a bulk anyway, as long as you aren't doing anything too stpuid.

Shao-LiN
03-23-2004, 01:17 PM
If you're gonna go the low carb route, I'd do it like someone mentioned, do a cyclical diet. Something like a CKD or UD2 where you introduce periodic refeeds would be much more beneficial than just going low carb everyday.

Shark
03-23-2004, 03:00 PM
I read on here a while back about someone who did a TKD by eating something like a bunch of smarties candy right before their workout. Had to do with the sugar or glucose or something.. the nutritional make-up of the smarties. Anyway, might be worth looking in to.

Allyrulez
03-23-2004, 03:10 PM
I put on 4lbs of lean mass (and lowered BF%) in one month using low carbs

And its not newbie gains

I did what you questionned, taking in carbs before a workout, or with a protein shake (taking protein with carbs reduces fat uptake apparantly)

I only touched fruit/veggies/cereals/potato scones and stuff. I think i had 2 slices of bread in that whole month

I think its worth a try if you are paranoid about ending up fat (like me)

Edit: And yeah, refeed.. Actually most times my body just DEMANDED a whole bunch of carbs (like a box of cereal in a day lol). I do crazily energised workouts those moments

galileo
03-23-2004, 04:04 PM
I wrote a diet based on low-carb maintenance days and high-carb workout days. HomeYield used it and told me it was the most success he's ever had bulking (fat:muscle ratio).

EdgarMex
03-23-2004, 04:18 PM
I wrote a diet based on low-carb maintenance days and high-carb workout days. HomeYield used it and told me it was the most success he's ever had bulking (fat:muscle ratio).

Did you post it here or just give it to Will? Could you post a link to it please?

Y2A
03-23-2004, 08:27 PM
Did you post it here or just give it to Will? Could you post a link to it please?

Yeah can we see? :)

Cardinal
03-24-2004, 08:49 PM
i am sure it's possible. but i think it would be extremely difficult. your training volume would have to decrease because you would be more prone to damage on low carbs. you would likely also not have the energy necessary to do some serious pyscho training ideal for muscle growth. that's just my oopinion, though.

Aside from some other personal conerns of mine, this is my problem with the idea also. My joints don't feel very good with lowered glycogen levels and strength suffers. Some folks prefer to use more cho cutting also for the same reason, so they can go psycho in the gym and don't become too lethargic/need to lower training volume etc.

Middle ground suggested is often 100g+ cho per day or Poliquin style uber high protein bulk. One way or another, getting enough glucose to stay out of keto pretty much.