PDA

View Full Version : Westside

NaturalBuilder
03-23-2004, 11:15 AM
Anyone have a direct link to a westside routine?

ElPietro
03-23-2004, 11:18 AM
Umm...did you miss the most recent thread at the top of the powerlifting forum?

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=42985

Anyway, moved this to the appropriate spot.

If you require more info, click on "articles" on the elitefts.com website and it will break it all down. But I think Adam summed up everything you need to know on the actual program in the above mentioned thread.

Paul Stagg
03-23-2004, 01:07 PM
There isn't really a set Westside routine. It varies based on the individual.

Dave Tate has a 9 week beginner routine at elitefts.com.

I can (and will) outline my routine, which is based on the template in an article by Tate called 'The Periodization Bible, Part II", which is also at elitefts.com, as well as t-mag.

Monday: ME Squat/Dead
ME lift (I'm currently rotating a squat, GM, and deadlift.)
Leg press 4x8 or so
Pull thru 4x12-15
abs
Maybe hypers or shrugs

Weds: ME Bench
ME bench lift (board press, rev band pess, etc)
Tricep ext 60 reps -or- db bench
Row
OH press
prehab

Fri: DE Squat/Dead
Box squats 8x2 wave from 60 to 70%
Heavy hamstrings (SLDL or good morning)
Shrugs
hypers
abs

Sun: DE Bench
Speed Bench 8x3 @ 50% (I use bands for 3 weeks, then straight weight for 3 weeks)
Heavy Triceps (close grips, JM press, lockouts) 3-5x3-8
Pullups 3-5 sets
Rear delts
prehab

Feel free to take a peek at my journal.

There are some other folks here who train using WSB, or similar.

NaturalBuilder
03-23-2004, 08:45 PM
Thanks. Never really heard much about westside until I joined this site.

bill
03-25-2004, 08:47 AM
anyone have a picture showing the bands and or chains being used i'm curious to how they work. and are a lot of powerlifters using this. i read an article on ed coan and he was saying doing the cycle of 12 reps . down to your 1 and 2 reps over 10wks or so not sure if this is still his type of routine.

ElPietro
03-25-2004, 09:13 AM
anyone have a picture showing the bands and or chains being used i'm curious to how they work. and are a lot of powerlifters using this. i read an article on ed coan and he was saying doing the cycle of 12 reps . down to your 1 and 2 reps over 10wks or so not sure if this is still his type of routine.

Bill, there are a few pics of a couple different setups in this thread (http://www.fortifiediron.net/invision/index.php?showtopic=10720) on another board.

Chains you just lay overtop of the bar, like you would a towel. So basically they are mostly piled on the ground when the bar is at the bottom of the range of motion, and as you move the bar up, more and more links come off the ground, increasing the resistance. I'm sure you probably know that already but thought I'd add it in case someone asked what chains or bands are used for.

Paul Stagg
03-25-2004, 09:15 AM
There are some photos of band and chain setups at elitefts.com, I think.

Tommy fannon's site (growordie.com) might have some as well.

Ed Coan doesn't train the same way the guys at Westside do.

bill
03-25-2004, 02:34 PM
thanks ElPietro, Paul I think they would throw me out out if i started setting up something like this.lol
anyway lots of people are doing this any opinion on it being better than the traditional way , traditional seems much easier and less to mess with i read one of things Saint Patrick / Adam posted on it