PDA

View Full Version : more deadlift help

debussy
03-23-2004, 04:30 PM
i been working on my deadlift form for weeks now and i cant get it for the life of me. once i start going even slightly heavier... my back loses its arch and starts getting a little rounded. maybe im just being anal... since the my back doesnt round too much.... but i really want to get the form perfect so i wont have any trouble once i start going heavy. is there an exercise that i can do to strengthen my back so that it does not round? ive been doing good mornings and hyperextensions... also ive been trying to sink my hips and keep my back a little more upright when i set up my deadlift... still not helping too much.... help would be apprecaited, thanks guys.

Saturday Fever
03-23-2004, 05:12 PM
Or you could do light deads with an emphasis on your arch. Find the heaviest weight you can move with good form, and do many many singles with that weight. You might also try moving from sumo to conventional, or vice versa.

For me, it was easier to deadlift sumo style in the beginning, but now that I've gotten form under control, I pull much better conventional.

dawk20
03-23-2004, 05:58 PM
Reverse Hypers are a GREAT way to strengthen your lower back

entrrt
03-23-2004, 08:47 PM
sometimes looking up helps keep your back from rounding. try that. also, are your hips tilted enough from the start?

otherwise just keep practicing w/ lighter weight.

debussy
03-23-2004, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the advice guys... I'll try sumo and see how it feels... and ill definitely lower the weight and sacrifice my ego a little bit for the sake of better form... thanks guys

prof
03-24-2004, 07:30 AM
I find sumo the easiest to keep the best form, so tend to stick with that

raniali
03-24-2004, 02:22 PM
make sure you are using an alternating grip if you aren't already.

Saint Patrick
03-24-2004, 09:09 PM
:withstupi

Ever since I started using an over/under grip, I've been able to pull MUCH more weight.

debussy
03-24-2004, 11:31 PM
over/under grip is great... i was so amazed at how well it worked when some guy at the gym taught me. i felt like a better man