PDA

View Full Version : Should I cut or should I bulk

J_C
03-24-2004, 12:03 AM
I am 5.8 and weight 170 pounds. My fat percentage ( with calipers) is 21%

I just started working out about a month ago, doing WBB1.

Should I cut or should I bulk. If I bulk for how long should I do it before cutting.

my relaxed measurements are:

chest 41
waist 37.4
hips 36.1
thighs 42
calf 13
Biceps left 11.2
Biceps right 12.2
Forearm 10.8

I am including some pictures

Relaxed

http://jlen.com/picstopost/relax1.jpg

http://jlen.com/picstopost/relax2.jpg

no relaxed

http://jlen.com/picstopost/tied1.jpg

http://jlen.com/picstopost/tied2.jpg

I will very much appreciate your advice, thank you.. and sorry for the long post

JC

ectx
03-24-2004, 12:57 AM
I'm moving this to members pics. That's where we usually post these kinds of pics and questions.

Saint Patrick
03-24-2004, 01:22 AM
I'm 5'8" as well, and the largest my waist has ever been was 35" after like 5 months of unclean bulking. I can only imagine 37".

I strongly urge you to cut and get your bf% in check.

Mic Soloist
03-24-2004, 01:39 AM
I'd say start doing some cardio a few days a week. Maybe 45 minutes on the treadmill or eliptical.

I would cut down to a low BF% and then get ready to lift heavy and grow.

Some of these vets can give you all the diet tips you need. My main advice is COME TO THIS BOARD EVERYDAY. You will learn everything you need to know. But never stop learning because there is always something one of these cats can teach you. I've been coming here over a year and I still consider myself a newbie on the grand scale. But beginner gains are incredible and if you stick with it you will be amazed in no time.

The best move you've made to this point was signing up for this website. Believe that.

Good luck man

-mic-

TheGimp
03-24-2004, 02:19 AM
I agree. Get your body fat down to more reasonable levels and then bulk.

wleon
03-24-2004, 08:16 AM
what would it be a reasonable BF% that I should obtain, before starting to bulk up ?

wleon

RBB
03-24-2004, 09:07 AM
8-12%

UKmarkw
03-24-2004, 11:02 AM
I'd be interseted to see your wheels, you've listed them as 42inches ! That's bigger than your chest!

I'm Only joking I realise it's a typo!

I agree with everyone else, cut first. Then bulk.

Beast
03-24-2004, 11:09 AM
Cut. You won't regret it.

JD77
03-24-2004, 10:04 PM
I'd be interseted to see your wheels, you've listed them as 42inches ! That's bigger than your chest!

I'm Only joking I realise it's a typo!

I agree with everyone else, cut first. Then bulk.

Damn straight. That's gotta be a typo.

Saint Patrick
03-24-2004, 10:49 PM
The best move you've made to this point was signing up for this website. Believe that.

:withstupi

hercmet
03-31-2004, 11:53 AM
I only have one thing to say to you : LIFT
No , wait, LIFT HEAVY !
Stay with the basic exercises , lift more every time .The more weight on the bar the better .Don't worry too much about your fat percentage , definition and so on .
What really matters is to become powerfull and athletic .This is what i believe , this is what makes me hungry when I am inside the weightlifting room .If any strict bodybuilders happen to be there they just look the other way :)
Be strong !

Max-Mex
03-31-2004, 12:38 PM
I think he needs to just eat better and lift heavy. He looks proportional in his torso because his chest is larger than his waist. Not by much, but enough to not make him look like his gut is bigger. I would say eat to maintain weight and add a good routine. I think you're better off doing that.

Max-Mex
03-31-2004, 12:40 PM
Work on making your upper body wider and thicker and you lower body as well. This will offset the larger waist line.

ElPietro
03-31-2004, 12:58 PM
Don't cut right now, I think that would be a big mistake. You are just starting out, so you will have significant gains for another 3-5 months just from training alone. The only thing I would say is make sure you are getting a whole lot of protein, and pushing yourself a bit at the gym. You will gain a lot of lean muscle mass which will automatically make you appear more cut, even though you'll probably gain some weight. You'll also lose some bodyfat at the same time. You can clean up your diet if you have some bad habits, but I'd say make sure you are eating a good amount of calories to allow you to have energy for your workouts at this early stage in the game.

You aren't fat anyway, you just need to add some good mass. Cutting would be the last thing I recommend for you at this point.

embro
04-06-2004, 01:31 AM
i would bulk, no doubt. Im with ElPietro
You have a good body to start with.
Eat better, and lift heavier... your body fat % will drop by eatting better, and ofcourse get bigger by following a good routine.