PDA

View Full Version : Punching Bag Cardio

Twiztid
10-03-2001, 06:32 AM
I'd always make a good program, stick to it... but some mornings I would miss Cardio. Then I would get down on myself, and end up missing my next weight day as well.. and needless to say, I would end up quiting. I'd come here, and everyone would kick my ass back into it. Only to miss another cardio day.. and repeat.

So, I determined awhile ago that Cardio is why I always got stuck in a rut. I hate waking up and hitting that bike for 20 mins, or using the eliptical machine. Running and running, but going no-where.

That is when I decided to buy my punching bag. A Heavy bag, with bag gloves and hand wraps. I LOVE this thing. I beat the living sh!it out of it, and it never gets boring

My cardio days, I do 3 min rounds in the morning. Right now, I am up to 4 rounds, going to 5 rounds on Friday morning. I take a 1 min break in between.. and trust me, this is killer. (especially after an upperbody workout from the day before.. hehe)

My question... with the punching, jumping around and constant movement... is this considered a good form of cardio? I mean, I am getting a cardiovascular workout, I know that much. I can feel it.. but can 12 mins (soon to be 15 mins) give you a good cardio workout? It sure feels like it. 4 rounds on the bag, feels like 2 hours on the bike.. but that's just what I feel..

So, what is punching this bag and jumping around.. doing for my fat loss goals?

Thanks.
Twiztid

:help:

syntekz
10-03-2001, 07:33 AM
Ya; it's a great workout. Throwing punches take a LOT of energy out of you.

Twiztid
10-03-2001, 08:11 PM
Yeah, no doubts.

Anybody have any information about how many cal's you burn, or if it compares to 20 mins on the bike etc..

I mean, what areas am I hitting.. by using the bag?

Twiztid
10-03-2001, 10:11 PM
ANSWER ME DAMNIT! hehe :D

:moon:

Mista
10-04-2001, 12:32 AM
I also use a heavy bag for workouts seeing that I am a kickboxer! The thing about traditional shadow boxing and bag work is that although it is Cardio its not in the same category as other forms of cardio like Jogging or cycling due to the fact that it is more of a H.I.T. style of training!(which I for one am a advocate of) It for the most part consists of a lot of stop and go movements! The way around this is to not only keep active by moving from combination to combination without a pause but by also doing a round or two of medium/fast paced punching. Eg start a basic left right combo at a medium pace for 45 seconds then increase it to a fast pace combo for 15 seconds. Continue to do this until your rounds up! Here's the real trick though instead of sitting and resting for a minute you should do an active rest by alternating situps and pushups between each round! That should do the trick dude!

Orange357
10-04-2001, 01:39 PM
Hows jumping rope for cardio?

syntekz
10-04-2001, 01:59 PM
Jumping rope is great. Just so boring because it's stationary.

Reinier
10-04-2001, 02:43 PM
Basketball is the best way to do cardio for me because i love to do it and I dont have to "make" myself.;)

Orange357
10-04-2001, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by MuscleAuthority
Jumping rope is great. Just so boring because it's stationary.

Yeah but i hate running.. my town is full of weirdos..

HolyChase
10-04-2001, 06:31 PM
So is it alright to do some punching bag work if your arms are tired from weight lifting? I am wondering if this would prevent your muscles from getting adaquate rest.

Orange357
10-04-2001, 08:04 PM
depends on if your cardio is after you workout..

PowerManDL
10-05-2001, 12:51 AM
Simply put Twiz, that's a form of interval training. As I'm sure most of you know, that's what I recommend for cardio work, and what I will be doing for cardio myself very soon.

Don't worry about "overtraining" your upper body. If anything, it will aid in recovery from your weight sessions.