PDA

View Full Version : Losing fat without cardio, is it possible?

Iron Heart
03-27-2004, 11:00 PM
Been thinking about this all day. Now lets take me for instance. I am 5'6", weigh 175 pounds, and have a body fat percentage of 20%.

I am just getting into weight training and I do cardio as well, but would it perhaps be a better idea to concentrate solely on lifting and diet first, and then add cardio in later? I mean you hear so much about cardio being overratted when it comes to losing weight.

Any thoughts?

WillKuenzel
03-27-2004, 11:08 PM
Losing weight simply boils down to calories in < calories out. For some cardio helps them do that since they might like to eat the extra 200-300 calories they might burn doing cardio. Me personally, I'd rather eat that little bit less than do cardio.

Concentrate on weight training and your diet and then at some point when you feel that you aren't losing any more weight, you can either decrease the calories further or start doing cardio.

Cardio isn't necessary to lose weight.

entrrt
03-27-2004, 11:14 PM
i started my cut 4 weeks ago and have lost about 6-7 lbs(need to lose about 5 more) and all w/o cardio. i was hoping i could get to my goal W/O doing cardio and so far so good!

Iron Heart
03-27-2004, 11:19 PM
Losing weight simply boils down to calories in < calories out. For some cardio helps them do that since they might like to eat the extra 200-300 calories they might burn doing cardio. Me personally, I'd rather eat that little bit less than do cardio.

Concentrate on weight training and your diet and then at some point when you feel that you aren't losing any more weight, you can either decrease the calories further or start doing cardio.

Cardio isn't necessary to lose weight.

Good point. I mean I'm not against cardio, it's just that from everyone I have talked to they believe that it is WAY overratted when it comes to losing weight. That as you said it's all about the calories.

Just look at the people in the gym. The best looking ones to me atleast are those who lift heavy, and do little to no cardio.

Anubis
03-28-2004, 01:27 AM
Iron,
Cardio's main purpose is to raise your metabolism. Weight training increases LBM, so you burn more calories. Contrary to comon belief, you don't burn fat during cardio. That is why I cring when they tell me they are doing an hour on the tredmill etc so they are in the "fat burning zone". Cardio burns calories and keeps your metabolism up for a time afterward, possibly several hours. You can lose fat without cardio, but to get the best results, lower your intake a little and add some cardio 3 days a week. It will get you to your goal faster.

TheAznMix
03-28-2004, 06:17 AM
Just look at the people in the gym. The best looking ones to me atleast are those who lift heavy, and do little to no cardio.
yer usually the best looking ones are already lean and therefore dont have the need to lose much bodyfat therefore they dont find it neccesary to do cardio because they are already at their ideal BF level....

they dont look better because they DONT do cardio....

cardios great for speeding up ur metabolism, and i suggest to anyone that doesnt do any sort of sport at least do a little bit of cardio a few times a week... you wont get healthy just by lifting weights ;)

Focused
03-28-2004, 08:39 AM
if you wann a lose weight fast, just suck it up and do diet plus cardio