PDA

View Full Version : body using protein in place of carbs?

Chad22
03-28-2004, 06:50 PM
I was reading an article at eggbeaters.com that said that when you are active for more than 3 hours your body can utilize protein in place of carbs if your body runs out of carbs to use. I assume that the protein it burns is lost and is no longer helpful in repairing damaged muscle tissue?

I play basketball all the time and campus and almost always I play for 3 hours or more. How do I know if I am getting enough carbs so my body doesnt started burning the protein that I am trying to take in everyday? I dont know anything about carbs can someone help me out? :bow:

Chad22
03-28-2004, 07:24 PM
One more question. I just read another article on nutrition and it said that around 60% of my daily caloric intake should be from carbs, 25-30% fat.

I usually get around 1800 calories a day and since 1g of carbs = 4 calories does that mean that I should eat roughly 270g of carbs and around 50g of fat per day while eating around 1800 calories?

I suck at math. :nod:

Cardinal
03-28-2004, 08:13 PM
Your math is accurate. Now just make up a couple of protein shakes + carbs if you are going to play basketball for three hours and drink them throughout. You'll also have more glycogen to work with, which should lead to improved performance on the court.

Chad22
03-28-2004, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the help. Just wanted to make sure. :)

ectx
03-28-2004, 10:22 PM
I was reading an article at eggbeaters.com that said that when you are active for more than 3 hours your body can utilize protein in place of carbs if your body runs out of carbs to use. I assume that the protein it burns is lost and is no longer helpful in repairing damaged muscle tissue?

Your body usually will burn carbs first, then fat, and then protein, although the preference of fat over protein has other factors that make this hyerarchy arguable.

Saint Patrick
03-28-2004, 11:03 PM

You're half right. The body will convert protein to glucose, and the glucose will be burned for energy.