PDA

View Full Version : HIIT with a punching bag...

TheAznMix
03-28-2004, 09:16 PM
... any of you ever tried to do HIIT with a punching bag? isit effective... u reckon you can get ur heartrate high enuf high with it....?

DokterVet
03-28-2004, 09:19 PM
Yeah I've done it....before I ever knew what HIIT was.

It's a fun diversion if nothing else, and of course it's a good way to get your bag work in there if you box/do martial arts.

Not an expert on heartrates or anything, but I will say that punching/kicking are extremely tiring extremely quickly compared to most activities, so I'd think it would be pretty good.

KingJustin
03-29-2004, 02:40 PM
I do it.

I get tired more fast doing HIIT on the punching bag than doing all out sprints. After the first few sessions I could see a clear change in how tired I was getting when boxing (not competitively, just with friends).

jagleaso
03-29-2004, 02:41 PM
I do some bag work and its definately tiring but it doesn't do to me what hard all out sprints do. After sprinting I will be breathing heavy for a good half hour.

geoffgarcia
03-29-2004, 02:49 PM
I get tired more fast doing HIIT on the punching bag than doing all out sprints :scratch:
I'm bewildered....I dont' even know what to write...

1m intervals, punching bag? I think you need to do quite a bit of reading on this subject.

There are some great posts on HIIT on this site, just use the search tool.

TheAznMix
03-29-2004, 06:56 PM
so how would i go about doin HIIT on a bag... just start of slow for like 5mins... then go hard and all out for like 1 minute then do the cycle a few more times after that? i've never done HIIT before and i got a bag at home so if i can use it for HIIT it'd be good so i dont have to go to the gym todo HIIT....

ryuage
03-29-2004, 07:27 PM
i would guess you would do it like you would do HIIT normally... go all out then cut back some and repeat.

jagleaso
03-30-2004, 09:06 AM
:scratch:
I'm bewildered....I dont' even know what to write...

Most Definately...
I dont understand it either.

KingJustin
03-30-2004, 02:59 PM
Have you guys ever tried hitting a punching bag as hard as you possibly can, as fast as you possibly can, for 30 seconds? It's tiring as hell.

Compare that to running a 200m sprint .. I think the bag work is a little more tiring, but very close.

Also, I don't do 1minute intervals, there's no way I could keep up my intensity for that long on a heavy bag.

geoffgarcia
03-30-2004, 03:26 PM
Have you guys ever tried hitting a punching bag as hard as you possibly can, as fast as you possibly can, for 30 seconds? It's tiring as hell.
Compare that to running a 200m sprint .. I think the bag work is a little more tiring, but very close.

from my previous experience with heavy bags (which I'll admit is somewhat limited, although i did have one in my home until I turned 18) I think the quick exhaustion from hitting the bag comes from shortness of breath which is a result of hitting the bag so hard and the impact/exhale which takes place...
try hitting a speed bag as fast as you can and see how tired that makes ya...not very right? well with the heavy bag each time you hit it your body clenches and ya exhale (maybe I was doing it wrong) and if ya do it fast enough your just not getting enough air which leads to quick fatigue/exhaustion.

When your sprinting you don't have that type of impact on your chest and with an appropriate cadence breathing shouldn't be what holds you back rather it would be full body muscle failure.

I dunno...thats how my brain has rationalized this topic, but maybe I have it wrong.

kr632
03-30-2004, 03:31 PM
sounds about right ^ i just got finished hitting the bag and i was tired for about 2 min. and when i sprint im tired for 20-30 mins.

KingJustin
03-30-2004, 07:35 PM
That's a good point. If I just hit the speed bag or if I was shadow boxing "all out" it would take me awhile to get tired.

TheAznMix
03-30-2004, 08:54 PM

Also, I don't do 1minute intervals, there's no way I could keep up my intensity for that long on a heavy bag.
yer i was being generous... prolly only for like 30 seconds.... or like 40 punches... or sumthing...

yer well when my knee gets good enuf todo sprints that prolly seems the best way to do HIIT...

bentkarnes
03-30-2004, 10:52 PM
speed bag and punching bag are quite different tho. speed bag is more about rythem and speed, I've been boxing for 3 years and have yet to exhaust myself on a speed bag ( breathe wise, my arms get sore from the postition after awhile) not sure what my point is really..... but I definitly love HIIT on a punching bag