PDA

View Full Version : calories for bulking

jazer80
03-29-2004, 08:03 PM
okay i know you're prolly gonna say use search, but i keep finding different answers. How many calories do i want in a day? i weigh about 150, and want to get real big, but don't want to just overshoot calories and risk losing my six pack. i know over time i'll be able to monitor this and figure it out, but i want to start with as close of an estimate as possible so that i don't lose time towards bulking or start getting fatter

Saint Patrick
03-29-2004, 08:06 PM
start out with your bodyweight x 18 = cals and increase as needed.

jazer80
03-29-2004, 08:09 PM
see i'm glad i asked because at large nutrition's website said go 25 calories per pound. that's a 1050 calorie difference, just the kind of thing i was worried about.

jazer80
03-29-2004, 08:11 PM
haha i kind of wish i didn't buy 16lbs of weight gainer this evening

jazer80
03-31-2004, 10:11 AM
okay i know that to optimize my muscle growth i'm gonna need a large amount of calories, namely 18Xbodyweight daily, but there's a point where i will not be using calories towards muscles, and i'll gain bodyfat. i don't want to avoid this by going lower calories and missing muscle growth, but what can i do during bulking to keep bodyfat down? supplements, cardio?

harryhoudini66
03-31-2004, 10:12 AM
15-18

jazer80
04-03-2004, 10:28 AM
houdini- that seems a little low... to be honest with you guys when i came to this forum all i'm reading is EAT EAT EAT, that's like the message in half your sigs- thing is that i started to eat so much, and i was getting close to 4000 cal a day, which is way more than i apparently need. you seriously should not have to be trying hard to get 18 calories/ pound/ day, i'm not that big (155), but i have no trouble getting that down, totally without the use of any shakes. i don't kow what you guys eat but my meals are always 5-600 calories, and i definitely get down 5 meals a day

EdgarMex
04-03-2004, 10:44 AM
how many calories you need to eat for bulking will depend on your metabolism. The advice of EAT EAT EAT is more oriented towards the guys that have a hard time gaining weight. Some of us tend to gain fat easily so we need to take it slower and ca't eat as much. I'm currently bulking with about 2600-2700 cals per day (no that I don't want to eat more, I easily could, but then I would start putting on way too much fat).

jazer80
04-03-2004, 11:57 AM
how much do you weigh?

EdgarMex
04-03-2004, 01:23 PM
163 at the begining of the week, when I finished my cut. I just started bulking this week

PiKappaWRX
04-03-2004, 01:33 PM
I agree completely with the 18xBW for bulking and 12xBW for cutting and 15xBW for maintenance. To lower body fat you can add cardio (Max OT is a good way to do everything), but the best thing you can do for yourself is keep you bulks clean! You'll be adding a lot of carbs and fat to your diet. The protein is always good, but keep the fats as unsaturated as you can and the carbs low GI. Get your EFA's in and stick w/ whole wheat products.

Behemoth
04-03-2004, 01:39 PM
16lbs of weightgainer?? There a pretty penny, I'll take some if you're looking to get rid of it... :nod:

PiKappaWRX
04-03-2004, 01:54 PM
Also, I just read an article about CLA. It helps reduce fat gains when bulking by ensuring that small fat cells do not gain size. While CLA will not help with fat loss (making larger fat cells reduce in size) it does the vice versa, keeping the small ones small. The article expressed that those who were taking CLA and went from dieting back to eating normally or from eating normally to bulking, it helped them in gaining more muslce mass and less fat. Read the article for yourself, but I think that CLA would be a good choice to supplement bulking: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=65