PDA

View Full Version : Back cramps during 1rm bench

Max-Mex
03-30-2004, 09:35 AM
Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I know cramps aren't good at anytime, I'm just wondering if this is a good indication that I'm properly using my back as a way to help with the lift? I got the cramp right at the last part of the lift (lockout). It felt like my lats were the culprit. I pulled my arms back and this made the cramp worse, so it makes sense it's my lats.

More info: I had my shoulders pinched back, arched back, butt on bench, legs planted and a little farther back.

Anyway to keep this from happening again? Light stretching or maybe some light rows or some kind?

JRockTTU
03-30-2004, 10:10 AM
I have had this happen to me in the past when I'm going heavy. I have usually found it to be from arching my back too much.

Max-Mex
03-30-2004, 12:37 PM
Hmm.. so maybe it's just the arch then.

TrevorN
03-30-2004, 12:43 PM
I find i get cramps or soreness in my forearms when i use the easy curl bar (100lbs)

so now i use dumbells and straightbar and machine

Max-Mex
03-30-2004, 01:03 PM
I find i get cramps or soreness in my forearms when i use the easy curl bar (100lbs)

so now i use dumbells and straightbar and machine

Off topic maybe....just a little?

AllUp
03-30-2004, 01:50 PM
I stretch like crazy before bench, mainly chest, but I also do a small back stretch. I grab a steady fixed upright thing (small column from a machine, or a pole) while standing up, pull back and arch your back so your like a C towards the pole. Noticed cramping a lot less since I started these. :)

You can also maybe try a few light close-grip pulldowns.

Relentless
03-31-2004, 07:08 AM
I would warm up the lats -- some rows or pulldowns before you bench would be a good idea

Max-Mex
03-31-2004, 12:35 PM
Warmup (light lifting) and maybe light stretching. I'lll do the lifting first and see how that goes.

Budiak
04-09-2004, 01:16 PM
I don't really max out on bench but I do notice that my movement and arch is far, far more steady and solid when I've warmed up and stretched my back out. I believe some guy at Tmag wrote an article about bench and mentioned that the number one thing you can do to increase (or at least increase stability on) your bench is to stretch or warm up your back before you do bench.