PDA

View Full Version : Snacking problems

AllNatural
03-30-2004, 10:49 PM
I started training again pretty regularly (about 5 months away from optimal shape I was in) and find myself not so hungry during meals and then snacking a lot. The snacks I have are crap. Today I ate a mountain of cookies and twizzlers. Please suggest me some better stuff. Keep in mind snacks I cannot cook because of my non kitchen situation. I have a microwave only. I could be getting better gains if I didn't eat crap for snacks. I know I should probably break out a turkey sandwich or something instead of snacking and have more meals, but when that is not possible what do you guys suggest?

Let me start the list:
Oatmeal
Cereal
Fruit Cups
Nuts

I'm also kind of a picky eater and don't like tuna.

HighExpectation
03-30-2004, 11:03 PM
almonds, protein bars, baby carrots, peanuts (no salt), Shakes, etc.

airforcerugby
03-30-2004, 11:32 PM
nothing beats cellery sticks, they have negative calories

PiKappaWRX
03-31-2004, 12:03 PM
its all in your head. you know what is good to snack on, but the truth is that if you see some cookies in your pantry and some unsalted peanuts next to 'em, you're gonna naturally want to grab a couple cookies. i had the same problem, and at time sitll do. You just need the will power and discipline. I do it by allowing myself to cheat once a week, sometimes twice. so if i say to myself that i can cheat in a couple days then im more likely to grab those unsalted peanuts and look forward to a small cheat meal later on. find what does it for u, and god i hope you don't have the late night snacking problem too, that haunted me for years.

AllNatural
03-31-2004, 09:08 PM
You are right, I have oatmeal or whatever but I'll go grab some cookies or something. Will power is key i need to break my bad habits.

ectx
03-31-2004, 09:40 PM
If you're diet is supper strict and you have to watch your carb intake there are other snacks. I try to keep some sugar free jello in the fridge. You could cube it or use it to make gummy-like candy. Also, keep an ample supply of crystal lite in the fridge. Both can usually satisfy your sweet tooth. If, however you're looking to gain, use what you have, and maybe keep some jerkey around.

AllNatural
03-31-2004, 10:48 PM
The problem is that its too easy for me to gain weight. Some people smaller than me are surprised at how little I eat sometimes. I'm sure that over the day I eat the calories I'm supposed to, but at meals sometimes my appetite bottoms out. PS I'll be hitting up the store tomorrow and am going to give away all my junk food.

PiKappaWRX
03-31-2004, 11:25 PM
that's a good start. the best way not to cheat on ur diet, is not to have the food available to cheat with. if all you have it healthy food, then the worst thing u can do is overload urself w/ healthier snacks. even though it might be more calories than u want sometimes, at least it'll be better for u. i'd rather eat too many almonds than too much ice cream

Shao-LiN
04-01-2004, 02:30 AM
The problem is that its too easy for me to gain weight. Some people smaller than me are surprised at how little I eat sometimes. I'm sure that over the day I eat the calories I'm supposed to, but at meals sometimes my appetite bottoms out. PS I'll be hitting up the store tomorrow and am going to give away all my junk food.

An extremely low calorie diet for a prolonged period will work to inhibit your metabolism. So, if you haven't been eating much for quite awhile, then your metabolism stores more fat. If you compound this with a very sedentary lifestyle, then you can gain quite a bit of fat while not really eating all that much.

Spartacus
04-01-2004, 02:50 AM
find some tasty food that is good to eat. eating plain food all the time will make eating healthy food unappealing. try making some hot salsa, using more herbs and spices, hot sauce, etc.

Ebu
04-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Peanuts
Cottage Cheese
Cheese and a piece of fruit (apples)
Carrots and some ranch dip
A scoop of natty peanut butter
A Protein shake
can of tuna
can of chicken
sugar free jello
Bean Burritos from taco bell (plain)
Add some Sugar free jello pudding mix to you protein shake. I like pistachio pudding added, it makes vanilla protein shake green, and I call it "The Hulk"

AllNatural
04-02-2004, 10:02 PM
Ate better today, snacked on cashews and cranberries tonight. I feel full and better because I don't have that nauseous feeling of eating sweet stuff like cookies.

PiKappaWRX
04-03-2004, 01:59 PM
good job! well i f'ed up and ate like 4 cups of breyer's ice cream with some cookies and i really shouldn't have. damn when will this snacking stop....