PDA

View Full Version : Do you make a difference between carb with fiber and without ?

J_C
03-31-2004, 10:43 AM
when couting calories do you make any difference between carb with fiber and without ?

so carbs with fiber count for less calories ?? or you just taken whatever the box say for calories and add it to your daily tally.

In atkins they would do some math with calories, carbs and fiber to get a lower calorie number -- I think

PiKappaWRX
03-31-2004, 10:49 AM
the deal with fiber is that it is a carbohydrate that your body will not be able to break down into sugars. which means that if you are counting carbs, subtract the fiber because it essentially doesn't count. when i count my cals, i still include fiber b/c im not cutting or doing a low-carb thing right now. if you were trying to keep your carbs low for a cut, then i'd say don't count fiber. as far as atkins goes, it even doesn't count the carbs from glycerine b/c they have a low GI (glycemic index), meaning a small impact on your blood sugar level. I would still, however count those carbs. So you can minus the fiber if you need, but otherwise go with what the box says.

PiKappaWRX
03-31-2004, 10:49 AM
anyone else care to add?

littleone
03-31-2004, 10:53 AM
personally I agree with you. I always go by what the box says, but to each his own.

Holto
03-31-2004, 11:53 AM
if you add up the carbs that are sugars and starches, protein and fat

it should be what the box says, usually they account for that

but I hardly eat anything out of a box, for me boxed food wood be organic Kamut spirals